─ 01. the fuckening

♡

MAY 21st, 2023
EIGHT AM

Today is going to be shit – or at least I came to that conclusion once I realized my day was suspiciously going a little too well.

For one, my family's all happy that we finally have a new neighbor (Mom's cooking up a feast already), my dad Sean finally got a day off (for the first time in what feels like forever), and my other dad Owen finally agreed to allow me to stay at the house on my own (For god's sake, I was nineteen years old and perfectly capable of taking care of myself).

I was confident I wouldn't burn the house down...well as long as I didn't step a toe inside the kitchen.

I inherited my father's gifts, you could say.

I cringed, thinking of the last incident when Mom allowed Dad and I inside the kitchen, unsupervised.

By that time, the entire fire department knew us by name.

Plus, it was Monday (of all days) and you know that saying, 'Happy Monday – let the fuckening commence'.

So yeah, my hopes were now low, and my guard was up.

"Mom," I snickered, "I may act as like I know everything, but I really don't."

My mom, Sang rolled her eyes – an amused grin on her lips as she placed the final touches on her big ass welcome basket. My dad Sean grinned brightly and pressed a kiss to her cheek once he sauntered inside the kitchen.

"Mornin' smartass." Dad lit up the spacious kitchen with his laughter when I swatted his hand out of my hair, that happened to be the exact same shade and texture as his. As in I got his unruly, nappy curls. I gingerly touched my hair, praying he didn't mess it up.

I loathed frizzy hair.

Dad chuckled lowly and pressed a kiss to the top of my curls, "Where's the others?" he asked Mom, pulling out a chair and taking a seat beside me. Mom ran a hand over her chameleon-colored hair and smiled.

"They all left an hour ago to run errands before the trip."

I was left in my own world as Mom and Dad discussed their trip with the others. They were leaving for a couple months to travel around Europe, while also doing a couple of missions for the academy. I, on the other hand, would finally know what it's like to be on my own. Not completely, of course (Gran and Gramps lived across the street), but close enough to where I would have to be independent for a while.

My ears perked up when I heard Mom ask Dad about the new neighbor.

"There's not much to know about him, really." Dad said around a mouthful of his pancakes. My face scrunched in disgust as a piece flew out of his mouth.