Chapter 1: Origins

[National Pokémon Association, Pokémon League, Lily of the Valley Island, the Sinnoh Region]

The Pokémon League Headquarters remained as magnificent as ever. The castle, having stood for many hundreds of years, served as one of the many architectural marvels of the region. Its intricately designed pointed arches and looming spires represented the people of Sinnoh well, enduring and strong. The rose window upon the building's front side would dazzle against the clear blue waters below. Few other places could compare.

Tranquil was a good word to describe the scene. The slow ripples across the lake reflected the amazing sky above, with not a cloud in sight. Periodically, young Buizel would leap from the still pool, sending sparkles everywhere. The call of Starly from high up above. A Chatot's melodic song drifted atop the gentle breeze, infecting the area with sound. Wild Pokémon played in the tall grass. Bidoof and Budew, Kricketot and Buneary. A few people walked the grounds accompanied by their own partners, playing and exploring the landmark. Children ran about enjoying the warm weather, a rare sight in bitterly cold Sinnoh.

Everything was perfect. Or, at least it was until the sound of an old, rickety engine began barrelling its way up towards the structure. A brown, open-top Jeep bounced across the gravel road, quickly gaining the attention of all those around. The truck soon swerved at the building's front entrance, kicking up a wave of dust and leaving tire-tracks in the well-maintained grass. The people and Pokémon around all turned to look towards the new arrival.

The figure slammed open their door, racing from the vehicle. A heavy, exasperated breathing could be heard from the person, as they overlooked the castle. At first, the identity of the stranger wasn't clear. And yet, any Sinnoh resident would have known his name. A few gasps broke out from a few of the passers-by, not expecting to see such a famous figure on this day. It made sense. It wasn't everyday that one got to see the champion of Sinnoh.

However, the man before them was not dressed like how a champion usually looked in his sweater-vest, suit and tie. He gave more the appearance of a learned historian or science professor than he did a professional trainer of Pokémon. Yet, here he was. His hair and signature giant moustache shook in the wind, though this didn't appear to faze him. It would have to take a lot more to scare a champion. A few amongst the crowd began to whisper his name, hoping for some affirmation, "T-That's Professor Rowan, right?!"

 A few amongst the crowd began to whisper his name, hoping for some affirmation, "T-That's Professor Rowan, right?!"