Chapter 11: Rivals

[One Week Later, Sandgem Town]

A small group had assembled near the end of Sandgem Town, made up from some townsfolk, the local police, the remaining researchers, but most importantly, the two new fledgling trainers. It had been a week's time since the raid upon their humble town. They had only been afforded a week's rest to recover from the attack. There was no more time they could waste, as much as Rowan would have preferred it that way. Things were already too far in motion, rest wasn't a luxury that could be afforded now. Given enough time the Hunters could build up and strike once more, anywhere across Sinnoh. The Elites and the Champion could do all they could, but without the next generation there wasn't much hope for a brighter tomorrow.

The morning sun shined down brightly upon the crowd, sending them off one final time. Cynthia stood still, resolve on her face, but also a smile despite the pressure. Even after all the stress, to become a real trainer was everything she had ever wanted, and she was finally about to embark upon her own journey. In her arms was Gible, held close to her chest. She looked down at the baby dragon, who shot her back a funny expression, earning a quiet laugh.

Then, she looked towards the boy next to her, who held a stern face, almost pensive. It was the same expression he kept making the first day they had met. Maybe he didn't even know his face kept defaulting to it. "You're making that face again." She commented with a smirk.

[Y/N] looked at her with a raised brow. "What face?" Unsure as to what she meant. He was dressed in his new clothes, from his head, down to his feet. It certainly made him look more professional compared to the torn casual wear he had been walking around in. And, around his belt were a few latches with Poké Balls attached to them, the starter's capsules. Fortunately, when they weren't in use they shrunk down, making it much easier to travel with them. Mina nodded and threw a small thumbs up, proud of the clothes she picked out for him.

On his back was a large rucksack, with everything he would need for camping out in the wild. Extra Poké Balls, medicine, food, water, all the equipment he would ever need, all prepared and ready to go. He could already feel his back under strain, but it was something he would have to get used to sooner or later. There was no use complaining now anyways, he was locked in with no way out...

He was going to become the strongest trainer in all of Sinnoh, the world even.

"CHAR!" Chimchar called yanking at his shoulder with an unmatched enthusiasm. [Y/N] chuckled at the small monkey's excitement, barely able to contain himself. Piplup called her name too, held within his arm, as if she were scolding the fire-type. Chimchar only mocked the water-type from up high, knowing there was nothing that she could do. Little did the small monkey expect a sudden blast of water to soak him from nowhere. Turtwig slowly breathed in and out, his small head leaf poking out through the unzipped top of his backpack. Already asleep? They hadn't even left yet...

[Y/N] could tell from the outset that these three were going to be a hassle to train, but he appreciated their company all the same. "Now, now, Piplup. Save that enthusiasm for that shark demon, you can blast her as much as you want!" He encouraged, and the small blue penguin naively nodded, acknowledging his command. He glared at Cynthia's Gible, and the Gible gave him the same stare back. Cynthia didn't know what to do with either of them, but she found it funny nonetheless.

"[Y/N], Cynthia..." Rowan's gruff voice spoke, pulling their attention. The Professor and Champion stood before them, flanked on either side by his aides, Berlitz, Yuzo, Mina, Bibarel and others. He retained that stoic look he always held, but there was also a pride there too, looking down at his most gifted pupils. "In all my years, never have I come across two young folk quite like yourselves, but you have both heard the spiel many times now. And, if I hold you here any longer you may begin to resent me." He joked, but there was a sombreness to his voice too, almost as if he didn't want to let either of them go just yet. What was it that he feared was out there?