Chapter 14: Jubilife City

[A Few Hours Later, Jubilife City]

"Another family has been found, two parents and a kid, from Sunyshore, in the same condition as the rest. Silas, I've only seen pictures, but it doesn't look pretty." There were ten people all sat around a long wooden table, smoke wafted all around the room, dark and muggy. No one wore very happy expressions, with glum faces, but there wasn't much to be happy about now, especially with the latest round of attacks. Towards the back of the wall was a large cork board with tens of pins connected with thin strings, a weird assembly of photos and people, Pokémon and places, and yet much still remained unknown. In the centre was a larger image, an interpretation of the mythical Pokémon, Darkrai, one of Sinnoh's oldest deities.

Unfortunately, the pitch-black god had brought together some of the worst scum imaginable, under his name. And it came at just about the worst time too, given the work of Hunters and criminal organisations infecting the region. The Cult of Darkrai was believed to have been completely taken out a decade ago, aided by the former champion, Rowan, and his Elite Four. And yet, once more, they had returned with a new lethal zealotry, committed to spreading Darkrai's unholy name across the land.

A man dressed in a large brown trench coat stepped forward, impaling a new image to the board. It was an ambiguous portrait, with no real face or details, but a stand-in. He placed it at the top of the board, serving to show how important the individual was. "This new leader they've acquired, he's following the old cult doctrine but he's far more radical. Not even the old hierarchy was this brutal..." The detective was a young man in his late-twenties, who was being quickly aged by the weight of the investigation on his shoulders. He was neatly dressed, but sleepless nights were getting to him, just as they were for everyone. However, if that was the price he had to pay for finding out where these bastards were, then that was a price worth paying.

It had become so severe that even the International Police were now being called in to deal with the issue, Sinnoh unable to solve so many concurrent issues on their own

It had become so severe that even the International Police were now being called in to deal with the issue, Sinnoh unable to solve so many concurrent issues on their own. It was a big blow to their pride as a region. And its people didn't enjoy outsiders poking around with minimal oversight, but that was the only way they could see progress being made.

"Three separate attacks all situated within Jubilife in the past month, and we've made no progress as to where or how they're getting about unnoticed? Looker, I don't blame you, but I'm beginning to doubt the usefulness of your organisations." An man a few years younger remarked from across the table, a cold sternness to his intonation, and an icy glare to his eyes. He had long flowing purple hair going down his back, and braided in parts, concealing parts of his face. His clothing was minimal, with only a light shirt and jacket covering his torso. Around his wrist were a bundle of prayer beads that clung tight against the skin. This was Silas, member of the Elite Four, and one of the strongest trainers in Sinnoh to date, despite his age.

 This was Silas, member of the Elite Four, and one of the strongest trainers in Sinnoh to date, despite his age