Chapter 8: Ash

[Route 202]

"Shit, where has everyone else disappeared! Weren't we supposed to meet up back here after the raid?" Two low-level grunts bickered back and forth in the middle of the forest. Both held large sacks strewn across their shoulders, filled to the brim with Poké Balls. The first stopped, and began scanning the area, with their anger quickly rising. "This whole operation was such a mess! They didn't plan this at all, and now half of our forces have gotten lost..." The second complained, trying to figure out where exactly they were.

And they were correct. The raid on Sandgem Town was devastating, destroying many homes, but above all, destroying the laboratory and taking their entire supply of Pokémon. Most had gotten away, besides the few that got greedy and stayed behind, or the bait unit sent to hold off Rowan for a little. They were never meant to come back. And now, as the pair of them grew more worried about their next move, they couldn't help but feel they too were put into a similar position. They could make so much money on all the merchandise they stole, but it would do them no good out in the middle of nowhere...

It was a risky, rushed, and disorganised operation, a desperate play by the Head Hunter designated to Sinnoh to cast the Elite's attention elsewhere. And, what better distraction was there than the Champion's own home? Though, that too wasn't necessarily a wise play. Rowan was a strong man, but he didn't care too much for constant fighting, and preferred to solve situations diplomatically. The Hunters had been a simmering force in the land for a few years now, and while he could have taken a harsher stance against them, he stayed his hand. Be it hopefulness, or naivety, it had been his own fault that the rampant expansion of criminal activity had been allowed to thrive. The Pokemon Association and the International Police both held a part to play, but the Champion was the figurehead of the region.

If the Champion appeared strong, the region appeared strong, and thus when the Champion looked weak, the future of the region looked bleak...

None of that mattered now however, because neither of them even knew whether they would be leaving this forsaken forest alive. "This would have never happened..." The first turned around, pointing an accusatory finger towards their fellow grunt. "If YOU had followed the stupid map!" The second looked back with bewilderment, before pushing his chest with both arms, sending them stumbling back. "Back off, man! I'm not even from this shithole. I'm just getting enough money so I can get a nice place back in Hoenn! Screw this shitty region!"

As the two were at one another's throat, just about grappling one another, a quiet rustling sounded behind them, beneath the shrubbery. They both stopped, simply watching the bush in silence, waiting to see what horror would come to greet them. Maybe it was one of Rowan's elite team, or another of his lab cronies...

"Turt." A small Turtwig appeared, shaking it's head from side to side, absentmindedly. Not a single thought transpired between its eyes. It simply stood on all four legs, staring back at the two. They looked at one another suspiciously, before darting their eyes back towards the rare grass Pokémon. It was a starter, which meant something, because starter Pokémon were extremely rare out in the wild. "Maybe it got away? I doubt we'd be lucky to find one ourselves." One asked. "Who cares? Let's just snatch it up and get gone. Wish they'd give us some of that fancy catching tech, would make this a whole lot easier..."

The second crouched down, holding out a welcoming arm. "Hey there, you stupid mutt. Why don't you come with us, huh?" They asked in a warm voice that betrayed the words he spoke. "Turt." It responded, not moving.

"What's that supposed to mean?" One asked, confused. "Turt." It said once more, in the exact same cadence. The second groaned. "That's it, enough messing about. Just get here you little shit..."