Chapter 5: Ember

[Professor Rowan's Laboratory, Sandgem Town]

In only under the few minutes after [Y/N] had first encounter the three starter Pokémon, the young Turtwig, Piplup and Chimchar, he had quickly won them over. They were a lively bunch, though you would imagine any young creature would be. The fire monkey leapt onto his leg, racing up the side of his body as if he were some sturdy tree, perching itself atop his shoulder. "Char, char..." It shouted back at it's two friends in a mocking tone, knowing he was the most dexterous of them all. And it was certainly loud, screaming and dancing with an unmatched excitement. He was sure that his ear would go numb any moment now.

At first he had been worried about the Chimchar, whose tail was literally alight with fire. Yet, Mina assured him that it would be fine. "Most fire types can project and manipulate fire, meaning they also control how hot the flames go! When angry, stressed or upset, their fire may grow stronger. When they're happy and calm it's usually more so just lukewarm, so as to not burn their trainer." She answered in an informative fashion.

"It's trainer? I'm not a trainer though." [Y/N] asked, tilting his head in confusion. "Oh of course, my mistake!" She exclaimed, "It's just strange, usually they are quite apprehensive around newer folks, but they've taken to you without hesitation. You look like a trainer in waiting!" He scratched his cheek, unsure as to how he should respond. Though he was quickly distracted by a small tugging on his pants from the desk. Looking down, the other two stood angrily, awaiting their turn to get picked up too. Piplup pulled at the fabric while Turtwig snapped at it with his jaws. Chimchar continued his playful dance, jeering at the two.

"Alright, alright. You two can have a ride too..." Crouching down, he enveloped the pair into his arms, holding them close to his chest. They both rejoiced in unison, a gleeful look on their faces. The small Piplup quickly slipped out from under the hug, snaking up his arm and finding itself a seat upon his other shoulder. "Pip! Pip!" It cried, laying against the crook of [Y/N]'s neck. All around him he was surrounded by adorable animals, and they refused to leave him alone. For some people this would have been considered heaven. [Y/N] was no different from those sort of people, unable to get rid of the stupid grin on his face.

"Turt, Turtwig!" The small grass turtle called, gesturing for him to pet him more. He obliged, scratching underneath the small Pokémon's chin. Mina let out a small chuckle watching the display. She had seen many people come and go from the lab over her few years working there. Some stood out as potential masters instantly, those who could brave the distance and go all the way, but the vast majority would quit within a month's time.

What appeared to be the correlating factor, she had come to realise, with the most successful trainers, was the unbreakable bond they held with their teams. Any person could study for their entire life, learning about different moves and types, what abilities worked best and which combos would bring them a swift, decisive victory. However, if a person wasn't connected with their Pokémon then they wouldn't get very far. She had seen hundreds of youngsters leave the very lab they stood in, those who didn't care for the adventure, for caring after their partners. Those who simply wanted the fame and glory. Never once had she ever seen any of those people again, but she had seen the faces of others, those who respected their Pokémon as equals.

Usually, she could tell within the first few minutes whether a person would be a good trainer. Watching this strange boy, she wasn't certain at first, but after seeing his quick turnaround upon seeing the three, her answer was clear.

Suddenly, an electrical alarm sounded behind the woman, startling her as she jumped in fright. "Data transfer request! Data transfer request! Data transfer request!" A monotone, robotic voice reported repeatedly. Mina turned away, giving her attention towards the large machine array behind her. "It looks like someone using the PS system. Just give me a moment, [Y/N]." He gave her a curious look, "PS system? Like a computer?" She nodded, "Follow me, I'll explain." Before them was a large monitor, displaying a small red and white ball, with a connection symbol above it. Mina took to the machine, typing away at a small keyboard. Soon the red and white ball had been replaced with a fearsome looking monster. It appeared to be an enormous, purplish, grey frog, standing atop its hind legs. At the ends of each of its hands was a large red claw, while a puffy sack sat underneath its chin.