Chapter 25: A Lone Ranger

[A Week Later, Somewhere Along Route 203...]

A helicopter swept over the tranquil forest and plains that covered the land below, the repeating propeller blades batting away everything that came near. It was an unmarked craft, but was coloured a solid bold red colour. There didn't appear to be that many people inside, three people including the man controlling the vehicle at the front. "Coming in for a landing, get ready for departure, Rangers!" The pilot radioed in, and a clearing appeared up ahead, allowing them a place to safely land. It was a rough landing as the landing skids bounced against the grass...

Through the side-entrance a young woman jumped out, her teal hair tied up high behind her head, and sitting atop her shoulder was a small cream coloured Pokémon with red ears and cheeks, a Plusle. Another Ranger followed her, a young man with shaggy blonde hair. A small parrot flew at him, brightly coloured and with a musical note adorned to its head, a Chatot. He smacked the side of the helicopter, signifying for the pilot to leave, and they had suddenly found themselves in the middle of a dense forest.

"Calling in to Ranger Union, this is Ranger Jack Walker rank nine, and Ranger Solana rank three, confirming successful arrival, beginning mission." He spoke into his shoulder, the small pendant attached to his shoulder that displayed his rank doubling as a radio. Neither of them appeared all that old, though he was a year or too older than she was. He wore the iconic Ranger uniform, a short-sleeved red and orange jacket. It was made to allow enough movement in any environment, but also stand-out enough so that the public could identify them at a glance...

 It was made to allow enough movement in any environment, but also stand-out enough so that the public could identify them at a glance

There was a small amount of static that buzzed for a moment before a woman's voice responded. "Rhythmi here, keep on the look-out, reports of Hunters have sprung up all around that area, and some Rocket grunts too. You both know your tasks, good luck." Walker chuckled. "Couldn't have asked for a better Operator to be guiding us along." There was an audible sigh from the other end. "Not now, Jack. This is important, we need to prove that the Rangers won't just sit by and allow these Hunters to attack our neighbours."

"Sure, sure." He responded, shaking his head. "I'll call back when we find something, over and out." And with a small click the line was disconnected, leaving them both with only the sounds of nature and their own selves to keep themselves company. "Where are we headed first?" Solana asked him. Jack pulled out his Capture Styler, a small red device that fit within his pocket. He snapped open the top and a small display of the local area appeared.

"I'll head up towards Oreburgh Gate, scout out the area, see if there's any commotion. You make sure there's no trouble going on over here, alright?" Jack said with a certain nod. Solana nodded back. "Good, I'll contact you if I see anything. And remember, we're just doing reconnaissance, if you do see something don't engage, we need to wait for back-up." Plusle did a mock salute and called out its name in a high-pitched voice. The two Rangers sling heavy bags over their shoulders and dispersed, going off in opposite directions. It wouldn't take more than a few days to scout the area on the ground, that was what they hoped anyways...