Chapter 3: Sandgem Town

[Sandgem Town, Sinnoh Region]

Sandgem Town was a lovely remote village. It wasn't the largest settlement in the Sinnoh region, but its stunning views and gorgeous shore line made it a vibrant destination for tourists. A heavy salty scent filled the air, the crashing of waves a recurring sound that echoed in the distance. Surrounded on all sides by thick woodland, the enormous mountain range that split the region in two sat still in the distance. Its white capped peaks a marvel, as the mist fell down its rocky length. Yet, the village itself sat on a wide, open plain, populated with many houses, shops and businesses.

People walked the streets, going about their everyday lives. Shopkeeps chatted, while every now and then a small truck would drive through slowly and carefully. Children ran in large groups, playing some new game. Starly sat perched atop houses, their birdsong infecting the air with its calming song. Budew and Cherubi hid in between plant pots and flower beds. Burmy hung from the exterior of houses, motionless and asleep. Other Pokémon could be seen about too, Buneary and Glameows, perhaps a Bidoof or Kricketot. Everything appeared peaceful, in harmony. Humans and Pokémon together.

However, what was significant about this town in particular wasn't its stunning views, nor was it the idyllic beach. Sandgem town was famous for one main reason. It was the location of Professor Rowan's Research Laboratory. Each region's residential Professor held an esteemed position, regarded as the leading authority on matters within their locality. Yet, Sinnoh was different. Considering the Professor also happened to be the Champion, Rowan held much more power then most other regional researchers. It fit in with Sinnoh's perception as a cold and rugged place, that even its scientists were the strongest battlers around.

Appearing from the treeline, [Y/N], Cynthia and Gible had emerged from the forest. Their destination was the local police station. As they broke from the underbrush, he couldn't help but notice the sun catching upon her hair, dazzlingly bright. He hadn't really given the time to analyse her features too greatly upon their first meeting. Her seemingly sharp features were offset by her kind demeanour, taking on a more carefree appearance. Though, her eyes were the most peculiar part, a deep grey. The sort of colour you could get lost in. To call her pretty would have been a grave understatement. He cast his gaze away soon after, not wanting to be caught staring.

Along the walk, the amnesiac boy continued to ask questions, and the blonde was keen and enthusiastic to answer all that she could. Naming any Pokémon that they came upon. He also asked about the geography of the region, though that would be a more complicated matter without a map available. That would be his next goal, to secure a map. Once he had that then perhaps he could regain his bearings somewhat, spark a memory or two.

What was most strange however, was that absolutely nothing about the world around [Y/N] seemed to resonate. The landscapes, the natural beauty, the vivid skylines, and especially the Pokémon themselves. Whenever he looked at one he saw a gross mistranslation. Like it should have been something he had known, yet at the same time was something completely different. Cynthia appeared just as confused, herself unable to imagine a world without Pokémon, to hear someone with an utter lack of any knowledge about the monsters was beyond unusual.

There was little use worrying about it too heavily, or at least that was what he attempted to tell himself over and over again. He couldn't remember anything, not this town, not the names of the small monsters running about, not the country he was in. It was almost as if he had been dropped into a completely alien world. And each time he brought his mind back to that dream that he couldn't entirely make out, his head burned with pain, forcing him to stop prying. It was a difficult situation, and realistically there wasn't much that he could do.

What did make him feel slightly more at ease was the calming atmosphere Sandgem Town held. It wasn't busy, and the people walking down the small roadways didn't rush or hurry. Everyone seemed content, as if there weren't any problems at all. The uncanniness that [Y/N] had felt before soon came back with a vengeance. It appeared far too suspicious for it to be true.