bombardier beetle

Bombardier beetles are praised by scientists for the pure nature of their existence. "Claimed by creationists and proponents of intelligent design", we hail accolades to the small explosives that live inside an otherwise focused, singular insect. Thermal reactions a defense against threat but one could imagine there were some false alarms.

However we do not fault the beetle for it's defense. For it is in it's nature.

Propelled through tunnels, expelled out abruptly and sharply. We do not shame the beetle for its fear of fear and instead we will be amazed, a spray expanding 270° of defense. We do not shame the beetle for it is in the beetles nature. The drive for survival is a constant hum beneath the surface. A force that exists in both humans and insects. Despite the results of this defense, valid or perceptive, remain capable of damage, it does not receive blame for something that may only be its nature. Science knows that the size of the defense is proportionate to the threat.

And through clever design the beetle will learn which paths to avoid. Its defenses are not unlimited. Sometimes the drive to survival means to scuttle an explosive ass down a different, and safer, path.