reversal

Once you removed chains from restricted limbs and I came to take you away there was a moment when breath returned to your chest. At first glance the air between us flowed naturally, almost like a dance. At the beginning it was like my feet never touched the ground we were spinning across the floor so fast. Piano scales playing ever faster while the room was a kaleidoscope, and you were a spotlight.

At what point did you begin to steal the breath from my lungs? Memories flashed around , walling me off while I heard laughter and truths shared. Did those moments not refresh? Had the life sparked within you craved what it never had? I couldn't stop the walls from circling. No - they were consuming of us. Screaming and gasping, choking between gulps of sickly sweet air.

Whatever hell that had chains engrossed within your cellular structure were now consuming me as well. The dance floor had gotten smaller. Soon there was no partner or dance floor. A stage and a pole, a show to perform. At some point the one that was captured now holds the locks closed. Your face hazed over with a contented smile, in the dimmed lights of secrecy and shame. The room isn't spinning anymore - it's me. Performing for my life while the role of prisoner is reversed.