Part 28

The Ardanian mothership shuddered, its lights flickering momentarily and the ship was shaken by the massive burst of energy as the communications bridge opened.

Yet the screen in front of Rag'ell, sitting alone in the conference room, still showed nothing but blackness, the vibrations and tremors grew and slowly subsided as the technicians tried to establish a direct communication link across many light-years.

A feat of engineering so complex that even the Supreme himself did not fully understand the entire process, and the calculations could only be performed by the best scientists using the most advanced technology.

Finally, the tremors subsided and Kairen's face appeared on the screen. Behind him was only a white wall, revealing nothing of the whereabouts of Gabriel's father. Rag'ell sincerely hoped that Mieh-ga had obeyed his order and placed the accused Ardanian under house arrest and not the real one.

"My Supreme," Kairen spoke first, bowing his head in respect. "I thank you for enabling this meeting."

"How are you, Kairen?" Rag'ell asked, certainly not as a polite question. He really wanted to know how the accused was being treated. Besides, there was no room for pleasantries. The time limit for keeping the communications bridge open was flashing red in the corner of the screen, and they had no minutes to spare.

"Better, my lord. I am in my house now, but I must not leave it."

"I am considering withdrawing the charges against you," the Supreme said, and he saw Kairen's dark violet eyes widen in surprise.

"That is generous of you, but I have not asked for mercy," the older Ardanian said proudly after a moment, his manner reminding Rag'ell of Gabriel again.

"It is not mercy."

"And my son? What will become of him?"

"Gabriel is under my protection. You need not worry about him."

"Thank you," Kairen looked at him gratefully. "Would it be possible for me to see him?"

"I've tried to persuade him to join us, but he won't," Rag'ell sighed, then smiled resignedly as he added, "He's awfully stubborn."

Kairen seemed disappointed, but nodded in understanding, "It must be difficult for him."

"It is."

"What's he like?" he asked, keeping his eyes on Rag'ell, making sure not to miss a single word.

The Supreme searched for words to describe Gabriel. None of them seemed adequate. He could say that Gabriel was brave, intelligent, determined, but also stubborn, brash and uncontrollable, that he was a great pilot and played the piano beautifully. That he was just extraordinary.

So extraordinary, in fact, that the leader of all Ardanians himself chose him as the one person he wished to have by his side forever.

"Gabriel is..." he began, but fell silent. It seemed to him that whatever he said would betray the deep feelings he had for Kairen's son.

"I would never have believed that humans and Ardanians could have children together," he said finally, "or that the union of our races could create someone as remarkable as your son."

Kairen smiled and nodded, pleased.

"You know him well, my lord?" He asked, his eyes searching Rag'ell's brooding and somewhat troubled face.

"We have become quite close," he admitted, and the knowing look Kairen gave him confirmed that the older Ardanian also understood what had been left unsaid. He made no further inquiries, instead changing the subject.