Chapter 15

As the night unfolded, Emma and Regina found peace in each other's arms once again. Wrapped in the warmth of shared blankets. Regina's breathing blended harmoniously with Emma's.

Cuddled against the backdrop of Regina's calming presence, Emma's mind danced with nervous thoughts. Each stolen moment, each whispered exchange, felt like a treasure. She couldn't sleep a single second, and as the morning light tiptoed through the curtains, Emma wondered how long her thinking mind will be able to cherish these moments. It was nothing like with Lilly. She knew that from the beginning, but it took long to admit. Regina was her other half.

Her fingers unconsciously traced the contours of Regina's hand that rested against her waist.

Regina looked so peaceful in the morning light. The gentle rise and fall of her chest, the soft curve of her lips—each detail etched a memory that Emma feared would become a poignant relic of a chapter closing.

She watched Regina for a moment longer, committing the image to memory before reluctantly slipping out of bed. 

Their suitcases packed into the Mercedes, Emma and Regina took one last moment in the hall, knowing that as soon as they step out of this home, they will have to face reality. 

Regina's eyes, a deep pool of brown, locked onto Emma's, searching for something profound in the silent exchange. Emma felt a gentle pull, a magnetic force drawing her closer to the woman.

"You know, I never expected the holidays to turn out like this," Emma admitted with a soft smile, her fingers tracing idle patterns on Regina's hand.

"Life has a way of surprising us, doesn't it?" Regina replied, her voice carrying a hint of sentiment. "Who though I will one day become the lover of the Princess." She chuckled deeply. 

"Who thought I will one day fall in love with my teacher." Emma teased. "But you are not only that Gina, you are a duke. Your father has done a lot here, and I will make sure to help Everglen as much as I can for it to develop and thrive, and you will have responsibilities here as well."

"I know Em-ma." Regina eyes reflected pride, stepping closer to close the distance between them.

As their proximity grew, and Regina's hand found its place on Emma's cheek, the touch sending a shiver through Emma's spine. The room seemed to fade away, leaving only the two of them suspended in a moment that felt both fleeting and eternal.

Emma's gaze dropped to Regina's lips as Regina's thumb brushed against Emma's cheek, a gentle caress. 

Their lips met in a kiss that Emma believed will be the last one. She closed her eyes, and imprinted the memory to the beck of her head. The scent of Regina, the softness of her lips, her warm hand on her cheek. 

As they broke the kiss, Emma's forehead rested against Regina's, their breaths intermingling in the quiet space. "Regina, I—" Emma started, but Regina placed a finger against her lips, silencing her.

"I know." Regina whispered, her voice a gentle murmur that resonated in the hushed room. "You are not leaving just yet." She added. "I am here, so are you, and that won't change in Misthaven."

"We have to be careful." Emma protested. 

"We will be." Regina promised, kissing Emma's cheek softly and she pulled away. 

The drive back to Misthaven was a journey fraught with a silence. Emma stole glances at Regina, the woman whose presence had become an unexpected anchor in the tumultuous sea of her responsibilities. The looming gates of Misthaven, though familiar, now seemed to represent a threshold—a divide between Everglen and the demanding role awaiting Emma.