Chapter 16

The night of Emma's ball has came. Emma and Regina had to travel to the capital separately, but they agreed to meet, and Emma promised accommodation in between the castle's walls for the brunette. She could not wait to see her. 

The grand ballroom of the Castle shimmered with opulence. The air was filled with the soft murmur of conversation, punctuated by the occasional clinking of crystal glasses. Emma, resplendent in a flowing gown, descended the grand staircase, her heart racing with a mix of excitement and nervousness.

"Thank you all for coming," Emma said, her voice carrying through the room as she reached the bottom of the stairs. The guests erupted in applause, and Emma's gaze swept the room, landing on familiar faces, constantly searching for the brunette.

As she made her way through the crowd, she exchanged pleasantries with the guests. Snow, her mother and queen, stood by her side, the strained smile on her face betraying the tension between them. Emma thanked the well-wishers with practiced grace, trying to ignore the subtle disapproval in her mother's eyes.

The piano, bathed in soft candlelight, beckoned Emma. With a subtle nod to the pianist, she took a seat and let her fingers dance across the keys. The haunting melody filled the room, capturing the attention of the attendees. 

As the last notes lingered in the air, a hush fell over the room. Emma rose from the piano bench, acknowledging the applause with a gracious smile she perfected during the past 18 years. Her eyes finally caught those of Regina, who stood near the edge of the crowd. Emma's heart skipped a beat as their eyes met, the connection between them as natural as always. Regina's dark locks, styled in loose waves, framed her face in a manner that exuded sophistication. A single strand, freed from its elegant confines, delicately brushed against her cheek, and Emma had to force her to look away. She could not let her mother notice their affection.

The time arrived for the ceremonial cutting of the birthday cake. Emma stood beside the towering confection, a masterpiece adorned with intricate sugar flowers. The room buzzed with anticipation as her parents, Snow and David, joined her.

"Happy birthday, Princess Emma," her father said, embracing her with genuine warmth. The genuine affection in his eyes momentarily eased the strain of the evening. The three of them posed for photographs, creating an illusion of familial harmony for the public eye.

Emma's parents seized the opportunity to present Neal, Mr. Gold's only son as a potential suitor, and her stomach dropped. She forced herself to make small talk with the man who eventually extended an invitation to dance, and with a reluctant smile, Emma accepted.

As they twirled across the dance floor, Emma's eyes catching as Regina excused herself, leaving Emma torn, constantly scanning the room for Regina. The weight of societal expectations pressed down on her, and she couldn't escape the feeling that her fate was slipping out of her control.

The night wore on, and Emma navigated the social intricacies of royalty with practiced finesse. As the clock neared midnight, she stole a moment alone on a balcony overlooking the moonlit gardens. The cool breeze kissed her face, offering a brief respite from the stifling formality inside.

Regina appeared, her presence a welcome solace in the sea of expectations. "You played beautifully," Regina complimented, her eyes soft with sincerity.

"Are you talking about my acting, or piano skills?" Emma asked, as she immediately locked eyes with the woman.

"Both." The older said, her voice low and hushed.

"You are beautiful Gina." Emma whispered under her breath. "I hated this evening but seeing you... you are so graceful, and the way you carry yourself in these circles is...." Emma failed to find words.