CHAPTER 11: Fire lily - frozen Rose

Akira watched the woman look around her in curiosity as they sat by an inn having dinner.

"So, you're related to Koku?" She asked curiously, trying to make sure she had heard her correctly.

"Yes. As annoying as it is. I too am part of the 'legendary' Tsugikuni bloodline."

"Then you're related to Must Hashira. I know he's a descendant of the Tsugikuni bloodline." 

"Hey, don't start drawing the family tree! It's bad enough that I have to deal with being related to Grumpy Old Grandpa."

This made Akira giggle a bit.

"It can't be that horrible. But I suppose I do see the similarities between you and Koku-san."

"That's a scary thought."

"Are you expecting company?" She asked with a smile.

"You aren't? I have to dodge it left, right, and center. Between the demon slayers and the demons, it gets kind of exhausting." Unmei said with a frown. "Besides, you're a little too relaxed for someone who almost got her head chopped off."

"And why would you be dodging demon slayers?" Akira asked curiously with a raised brow, completely ignoring her latter comment.

This didn't go unnoticed by the other woman, who smirked at it.

"Oh right, you don't keep up with Ubuyashiki and his band of weaklings."

"Please don't insult my brother-in-law. I sense you have no love for the demon slayer corp, but despite your aversion, he is actually a kind-hearted man." Akira replied with a frown.

"I'll keep my opinions, and you keep yours." Unmei said, a hint of defiance in her voice as she took a sip of her drink. "Anyways, I should get going. I've already wasted enough time as it is."

"No wait, at least let me offer to pay for your lodging over night." Akira insisted with a kind smile. "I know you would rather do your own thing, but I do know you need to rest overnight. Then you will be on your merry way in the morning."

Unmei narrowed her eyes suspiciously at the other woman as she weighed her options.

"You're suspiciously nice and sweet; you're giving me a toothache." She said. "Why are you being nice to me?"

"Why do you ask? Have you only ever encountered people who weren't nice?" Akira asked curiously.

"That's irrelevant. Be as it may, you're like sugar sweet and so authentic about it—unlike that rainbow-eyed bastard who pretends he was—because now I sound like a bitch." Unmei replied. "Now I'm curious about how someone as annoyingly sweet as you ended up dating the meanest Upper Moon demon. How did you even get the mean old grandpa to like you? My brain just can't process that. Doesn't Ubuyashiki have a bunch of somewhat normal human males? Couldn't you choose one of them? Do they even know you're busy fraternizing with their enemy?"

She saw the other woman's cheeks turn a deep crimson.

"I may be related to Ubuyashiki-sama, but my life is my own. As are my choices. Out here, I am my own person. Without any affiliation." Akira replied.

"Hm, I see. You're ballsier than I gave you credit for, it seems." Unmei said, and a small smile appeared on her face. "Well, at least I won't have to worry about you feeding me their nonsense."

"What is your objective? I doubt you move around without any goal in mind. Even if it's not becoming a demon slayer." Akira asked curiously.

"That's really none of your business." Unmei replied. "I just want to live my life the way I want."