Act III - Resurgence Isle Part 2

Movements of the Tides

The morning dawned with a sobering task ahead. The unsettling discovery at the town square still weighed heavily on my mind as I delegated the repair work to Chase.

"Why does this happen on my day off? I was looking forward to relaxing by the hotel pool, especially with that amazing girl I met yesterday." Chase grumbled, his attention half on the book about electrical machinery he was flipping through.

"Hey, if we figure out who caused this mess, I'll personally make sure his power gets cut. Everyone in town will have electricity except for him. Or her." I said, trying to lighten the mood. Chase let out a small chuckle, appreciating the joke.

"I'm too dumb for this power. Remembering every tiny detail when I'm creating something? I'm terrible at that. I find myself buried in these books all day, every day. That's worse than having the power dehydrate me every time I use it." He said as his eyes scanned the pages without pause.

I decided to leave him to his generator troubles and went off to meet Kyriah and Jennifer. We had plans to head to Brillamar Beach. The coast was littered with debris, and the townspeople were organizing a cleanup. As I recently learned, Kyriah adores the beach, and she had us both volunteer the moment she heard about it.

Walking towards Brillamar Beach, thoughts of what has transpired these past weeks dwell in my head. The whole island is at a standstill because of the destruction of the storm, we didn't even have time to well mourn Mateos.

When we told Cristofer and his crew the news of his death, they were all devastated, but Cristofer didn't say a word. He didn't have to, his silence said everything. Disappointment, guilt, anger, sadness, he must've felt them all. I haven't seen or spoken to him since then. 

His crew, on the other hand, has been more active with us. I don't know if it's because they feel an urge to help us and the island, or because now that Davos has been taken care of, they aren't afraid of hiding anymore. Either way, these past weeks, all of them have become valuable members of The Sunspears, and really good friends.

As I got closer to Brillamar Beach, my eyes immediately found Kyriah. She was in the thick of it, working alongside the locals, moving debris with determination.

There she was, her hair pulled back in a ponytail, but her hair was so long, that it still hit her face when she moved. With her sleeves rolled up, completely immersed in the task at hand. She lifted heavy pieces of driftwood as if they were nothing. Every now and then, she'd pause to give instructions to a local or to share a quick joke, her laughter ringing out clear over the sounds of the cleanup. It was like she had an inexhaustible well of energy, and it made me admire her even more. 

"Hey, Kyriah!" I called out, trying to get her attention. "It seems you have this already taken care of, I don't think you need me here." I said with a smirk.

She turned, sweat trailing down her forehead, and gave me a smile that was both tired and cheerful. "Justin! I was wondering when you'd show up. There's still plenty to do, so don't think you can just stand there looking pretty. Get your hands and feet dirty!"

"We're here to clean, not flirt." Jennifer said as she passed by with debris on her hands.

I chuckled and stepped in to help.

As the island's sun reached the highest in the sky, we were almost done completely. The beach looked completely different, you could dive in your bare feet in the white-golden sand and submerge yourself completely in its crystal clear water. 

We were all gathered in a circle, throwing the garbage bags on a pile, readied to be weighed. 

As the announcement about our collective achievement echoed across the beach, everyone burst into applause. "342 pounds of trash recovered! The Mayor will be here soon to see our progress!" the woman with the megaphone declared, her voice brimming with satisfaction.