Fifteen: Office Party

"Here," Kae stated, sliding a wrapped gift across the table. "I knew you'd get angry if I bought you a mansion, so I nixed that idea. And I know this doesn't even begin to make up for missing graduation, but I think you'll like it."

I pulled the ribbon loose, slipping it off the small rectangular box. I tore off the green and blue wrapping paper, finding a cardboard box beneath it. Enthusiastically, I opened the box and pulled out a phone case. It was sea green, my favorite color. I flipped it over, to find sea foam and bubbles decorating the back. In twisting and elegant cursive script were the words, "Smile despite the odds."

Gasping, I put my hand to my mouth and stared teary-eyed at the beloved message before me. I stroked the case, breathing, "Vanessa's saying."

Kae smiled gently at me as he explained, "It's a personalized phone case."

My eyes landed on his face. I pointed to the gift as I began, "You mean . . .?"

He chuckled softly, nodding. He put his elbows on the table and finished for me, "I designed it. I picked the color and accents. I also put the quote on there, since I know how much it means to you."

"Wow," I remarked, unable to say much else. "How much did this cost?"

"Does it matter?" he retorted, balling the wrapping paper in his hand. "It's a gift, Angie, which means you accept it without worrying about the price."

I clutched it to my chest, near my heart, making him chuckle shortly. I smiled at him and gushed, "Thank you! I love it." I took out my cell phone and traded covers, adoring the new one. "I'll cherish it forever."

A waiter placed our drinks down and promised our food would arrive soon. When he left, Kae drank from his lemonade and then admitted, "I'm glad your birthday is coming up quickly. It's another chance to let me make it up to you."

After drawing my Cherry Coke closer, I sent him a stern look. I assured him, "I forgave you for that a long time ago. Besides, you being here is payment enough. And you're buying me food." I grinned cheekily. "All your past transgressions are forgiven."

He smiled in return, not as sure as I was. He trailed his finger along the glass and sighed. "Okay," he started abruptly, staring at me, "but you have to let me give you one more gift."

I groaned, falling back in my seat. "No! This single present means a lot to me. It's worth more than ten presents."

"Hold on," he asserted, holding up a hand. "I didn't say I was going to give you one now. This gift'll wait for your birthday. Can you agree to that?"

My smile fell onto my face with ease. "Your conditions are manageable," I said playfully with a nod. "I agree."

He looked at me with a broad grin, chuckling. He murmured, "Man, I've missed you."

"I know!" I proclaimed. "It feels like it's been forever since we've had lunch together. I'm just really glad you're home."

"Me too, sis. Me too."

Our food was placed in front of us and the conversation ceased. Kae practically inhaled his meal, and he even got a second order of fries. He must've been hungry. I ate slower, but my plate emptied rather quickly.

Kae stood up from our booth and stretched. After tossing a few bills onto the table, we started out the door. He suggested, "What do you say we get those milkshakes like we used to?"

I smiled at him. "That sounds amazing." I skipped onto the sidewalk, headed towards the small malt shop a few blocks down. I added, "And delicious."