Twenty: Southern Accent

It took me longer than expected to part ways with Iggy, but eventually he said he ought to head home. So he said goodbye, leaving my lips tingling. But then he turned back around, crushed me in a warm embrace, and muttered something I couldn't understand into my ear. This time, he left me with a smile on my lips and a blush on my cheeks.

I glanced at my car, but shrugged and decided since I was already out, I could run a few errands. So I admired my pink shoes, smiled like an idiot, and finally went off to check some items off my to-do list.

First, I grabbed some orange juice and bran muffins for home-Mom had been meaning to buy them but had yet to find time, and she didn't want to go shopping for the third time that week. I bought the newest print of Sam's favorite magazine, since I figured I'd need a bargaining chip sometime soon. I saw a T-shirt on sale that Kae would love so I splurged.

The majority of the shops downtown was local-owned, Ma and Pop shops. They were little, unique stores converted from old-age homes squished together. Each one was beautiful and singular. A few were in desperate need of renovation, but the owners ardently claimed it gave the shop personality.

I found a vacant bench near the park and plopped myself down. For a while, I watched the cars and people pass by. Eventually, my mind wandered, and I found myself staring at my pink high tops and thinking about Iggy.

When I was with Hank, I was comfortable and had fun. I was dating my savior. I knew he'd protect me, and I grew content in his arms. He acted like a perfect gentleman when we were together. He was the sweetest guy I knew, and in no time at all, I was putty in his hands. I fell for him, hard, and he knew it. I loved spending time with him because he made me feel like a princess.

But things were different with Iggy. He was annoying and surprisingly conceited and tested my patience more times than I could count. He made me want to pull my hair out and scream in frustration. However, at the same time, he made me smile until my cheeks hurt and made my heart race. I felt different when I was with Iggy than when I was with Hank. It was almost as if I were happier, even if I yelled at Iggy sometimes. Iggy may not have made me feel exactly like a princess, but he did make me feel like . . . me.

I grabbed my purse and opened it. I took my phone out and looked at the time. With a sigh, I decided to head home so I'd have some time before dinner to hang out with Kae.

It was so nice to have my older brother home. After not seeing him for six months, it felt great to see him every day. I loved shoving him out of the way when he was brushing his teeth and I needed to apply my makeup. He adored sitting on me when I lounged on the couch. We enjoyed playing video games together and yelling at the TV screen. I could tell Mom loved having the three of us during dinner, trading stories and making fun of each other. Even Sam liked having him around to tease relentlessly and argue with.

His promise often slipped back into my mind: that he'd make up missing my high school graduation to me. I also remembered his promise that it'd be just us this summer, and his girlfriend wouldn't visit. I liked that idea.

It wasn't that I didn't want to meet Dolly, because I did. She sounded like a sweetheart and if my brother liked her, I would, too. But I hadn't seen my brother for a long time and, although I was acting selfish, I wanted him all to myself.

He was my one and only brother. He was the one who stayed up all night long with me, eating ice cream, when I couldn't sleep because of the storm outside. He played pass with me when I no longer had a father to play with. He let me cry my eyes out when Vanessa passed away. He got a week detention because he beat up a boy who bullied me in elementary school. He was my big brother, my lifelong best friend, and the most important person in my life. So if this was the last summer I could spend with just him without a girl at home to come back to, I'd take all I could get.