{Ch. 11} Texture ✓

Kae slammed his head onto his desk, dropping his phone. My screen showed his campus apartment ceiling.

"Ladies and gentlemen, may I call your attention to the beauty of final exams?" I laughed, shaking my head.

With another groan, the screen shifted as he lifted his phone and trained the camera back on him. His hair stuck out at funky angles, and his eyelids struggled to stay half-open.

"You're almost done though, aren't you?"

"And afterwards, I can die." He brought his head back down onto his desk, and I stared at the top of his head.

"Pah." I waved my hand. "You're an English major, not a theater major. Stop being so dramatic."

"They might as well be the same thing," he grumbled. "I think I might be dying anyway. Or at least Laryngitis."

I sighed, looking at the ceiling. "Why do you think you have that?"

"Hoarse throat. A constant need to clear it."

I placed my head in my hand and shot him a dry expression. "I take it you haven't slept well the past week. Lack of sleep can cause a sore throat, and a sore throat can lead to mucus, which can lead to clearing the throat. You're fine."

"So dismissive."

"Go see your doctor?"

"After finals."

I grinned. "How many more do you have?"

He held up two fingers.

"You can do this!" I shouted, which caused Kae to look at the camera again and wince.

"You my personal cheerleader?"

I shook my head. "You already have one of those, don't you? Where is Dolly, anyway?"

My brother squinted at his wristwatch. "Uh, five minutes from my place, I'd say."

My eyes widened. "Wait, she's coming over?"

"Yeah." I could have sworn his cheeks tinted pink. "I have some free time before my exam tomorrow. We haven't been able to spend much time together so I figured we could – you know – get together today."

I grinned again. "Is this your polite way of ending our conversation early so you can have some private smooch time with your girl?"

Now his cheeks definitely turned pink. "Angela!"

A laugh erupted from my lips, and I let my head fall back.

"Okay, okay," he placated, and I tried to get my laughter under control. "Yes, I want to end our call early today. But I really hope you can meet her someday." His eyes got all big and round, making me smile.

"I want to."

We smiled at each other, and my heart ached for the days I would peer over his shoulder as he wrote love poems and sonnets and vignettes.

"Hey!" I exclaimed, sitting up straight. "My birthday's in ten days. Do you think you can make it?"

"You counting down or something?" His eyes twinkled.

"Absolutely! So what do you think? Finals will be done in a couple days. Will you be able to catch a flight back home to make it for my birthday?"