Twenty-Two: Three Brothers

Iggy smirked at me once I emerged from the locker room. He pushed off the wall and fell in step beside me, his arm brushing mine when I was closer than he expected. He greeted, "Hey. I haven't seen you around before." He chuckled.

          I rolled my eyes at his blind joke. I knew he did it so others didn't have to feel like they had to walk on eggshells around him, but I still found it difficult to full enjoy the jokes.

          "Clever," I deadpanned, shaking my head.

          He sent me another smirk. "Admit it: my witticism is a big turn-on," he teased, wiggling his eyebrows.

          I barked a short laugh but said nothing in return—his statement deserved no response.

          A week had passed since my birthday. The candle sat on our coffee table in the family room while my tickets were stuck to the fridge with magnets. I had worn Sam's outfit a few days later to head with her and Kae to the beach a short ways out of town, where we spent the day playing beach volleyball, building sandcastles, and getting suntans. Mom's camera was put to use that day and throughout the weekend—I had pictures of Sam, Kae, Dolly, Mom, and even people at Hope for Youth uploaded to my computer. And the picture frame with the photo of Iggy and I sat at my bedside on my nightstand.

          His hand found mine, lacing his fingers through mine. We walked out of the building and into the sunlight, warming the skin it touched. As we headed towards my car in the parking lot, his hand tightened around mine as he slurred, "You should come over."

          My heart began to pound in my chest and my footsteps slowed until they stopped altogether, forcing him to stop beside me as well. I looked at him with wide eyes, inquiring, "What?"

          Maybe I had seen one too many TV shows, but when someone said those words, it usually led to either a couch or a bedroom. Hearing him say those words threw me into a panic.

          "You should come over," he repeated, slower this time. He smirked knowingly, as if he could read my thoughts in that moment. He squeezed my hand in comfort. "I want you to meet my family."

          A deep breath of relief released, and I felt my shoulders relax. So he wasn't implying what I thought. He just wanted me to meet his family. Although it was an intimidating idea regardless, at least I could handle this better.

          He explained, "Since I've already met yours, I think it's only fair you meet mine as well. I promise they don't bite."

          I chuckled, sending him a warm smile. I had wanted to meet his brothers ever since he told me he had siblings, and this was a great opportunity to do so. I wanted to see where he grew up and with whom he shared dinner. I was equally curious to meet the woman and man who raised him.

          "It sounds fun," I confessed. "I'd love to meet them."

          A smile bloomed across his face and he visibly relaxed as well. It seemed ever since we started dating, he'd been hesitant about things like this. I guess he wasn't used to sharing the intimate sides of his life, so he came off as a bit shy about them.

          He suggested, "Awesome, do you want to meet at Paulo's around nine-thirty Sunday morning? I'm afraid we'll have to walk to my place since I've discovered I don't give the best directions."

          With a chuckle, I replied, "That'll be fine. I'm getting used to walking everywhere with you."

          His hold tightened around my hand and we continued towards my car. Once there, he bent down and brushed his lips quickly against mine. He whispered in a low voice, "Remember: Sunday, nine-thirty, Paulo's."