Two: Meet the Crazies

"I'm home!" I announced as I opened the door and stepped inside. I tossed my keys onto the kitchen counter and dropped my bag near the door, even though I knew my mom would yell at me later to pick it up-I was just too lazy to do it right then.

          "Hey," Mom greeted, entering the kitchen. She smiled at me as she wiped her hands on the smock tied around her. "How was your first day volunteering?"

          I leaned against the counter, my smile appearing easily. "It was a lot of fun. A bit slow, but once the kids warm up to me, things should speed up."

          She waved her hands dismissively. "Kids love you. By the end of the week, they'll be calling you Aunt Angela."

          I chuckled, amused by her comment.

          She stood in front of the oven and watched me intently. That only happened if she had something important to tell me. She informed me, "Kae called today."

          My face lit up and my smile broadened. "Really? How is he doing?" I asked excitedly.

          "I don't know," she answered with a shrug, a grin beginning to tug on her mouth.

          An eyebrow arched on my face. Typically when he called, that would be the first thing she'd ask.

          "He was too busy talking about his new girlfriend." A knowing and mischievous smirk formed on her face.

          My eyes widened and I laughed shortly, clapping. "You're kidding!" I exclaimed. "He has a girlfriend now? Oh my gosh! What's she like? I'm sure you know everything about her now."

          With a chuckle, she explained, "Her name is Dolly Owens."

          My nose scrunched. "Dolly? That's an awful name."

          Mom shrugged, silently agreeing. "Apparently her parents are fans of Dolly Parton."

          Picking at a nail, I muttered, "Poor girl."

          She laughed. "According to Kae, she's wonderful," she mocked, her voice nasally. "She's perfect and beautiful and whatever else boys say when they have a crush on a cute girl."

          "Lemme guess," I started, not amused, "she's just a doll, right?"

          She pointed at me, giving me a strained smile. "Because she's Dolly? Good one, sweetie." She rolled her eyes at my bad pun.

          I chuckled and turned to my bag on the floor. After noticing Mom's disapproving glare at the lump on the ground, I picked it up and strapped it over my shoulder.

          "Oh yeah," Mom began with sudden recollection. "He wants you to call him as soon as you can. You might want to do it soon." She looked at me with raised brows. "You know how worried he gets when he doesn't hear from his little sister every five minutes."

          Giving her a thumbs-up, I smiled and started out of the room. "Got it!" I called over my shoulder.

          As I wandered up the stairs to my room, my thoughts oscillated between my brother Kae and the blind guy from Hope for Youth, William. Once in my room, I dropped my bag uncaringly on the floor and flopped onto the bed, pulling out my cell phone.

          Kae was two years older than me (though currently three years older since his birthday was before mine) and sort of still a sophomore in college. He wasn't home for the summer because he had decided to take a summer course.