{Ch. 15} Home ✓

"I'm buying the entire original soundtrack as soon as I get home!" I jumped, spinning. I continued to spin when my feet touched the ground, arms outstretched. My smile threatened to split my face in two.

The sun was a mere echo of the day, bleeding into nighttime. The temperature had dropped, and I rubbed at my arms, warding off the goose bumps. I hopped down the sidewalk to keep warm.

Iggy's laugh bounced off the sides of the buildings. "First off, you're four. Secondly, I'm sure the original musical numbers are much better than what we just heard."

"Hey," I called to him as he tapped the ground a couple of paces behind me, "don't be rude. I thought the main lead had a lovely voice."

"Yeah, that guy was alright. Who was the friend that invited you? Justin Zilch?"

"Yes."

"Right. He needed some work." Iggy sidled up beside me, flashing me a lopsided smirk.

I glowered at him and pursed my lips—a shame he wouldn't be able to appreciate the full force of my stare. "Rude."

His arm brushed against mine with every step. I held my breath, waiting for him to maybe hold my hand. "By the way, I can feel you staring at me."

"Liar."

He grinned. "Which means you were staring at me."

"Shut up."

He bumped his elbow against my side, almost missing me. He took a step closer and, after hesitating, wrapped his arm about me. I glanced up at him, eyes wide and mouth open. Iggy kept his face forward, a light smile playing on his lips. Once I drank in the sight of his profile against the navy blanket of the night sky, I focused on our footsteps marching in time and smiled to myself.

"Your birthday is in two days, right?" he asked, the murmurs of the departing crowds from the theater fading the farther we walked.

I nodded. "Yes, it is."

"Is there anything you want?"

I gasped dramatically. "Iggy, are you telling me you haven't bought me a present yet?"

His lips pressed together and he shook his head. "Sorry it didn't occur to me to go out and buy a gift immediately after you invited me."

He must have felt the goose bumps on my skin, because he started to rub my arm. The gesture was comforting, and I relished in the warmth his body radiated.

"Seriously. What do you want, angel-cakes?"

A sigh fell from my lips. "Honestly, what I really want is my brother to be home."

His hand paused. "Ah." He chuckled. "I don't know how your brother would feel about being wrapped up in a box with a bow."

He managed to encourage a quick chortle from me. "He'd probably go along with it, if I really wanted it."

Iggy squeezed me. "Aside from your brother, is there something I can get you with cash money?"

I shrugged, tempted to nuzzle into his side. "I think I'd like anything you'd get me."

He groaned, pushing his aviators up to pinch the bridge of his nose. "Don't be like that. It doesn't help at all."

"But I don't really want anything but your company."