𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖊𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙

London's intuition was on high alert, a gnawing feeling of being watched sending shivers down her spine

London's intuition was on high alert, a gnawing feeling of being watched sending shivers down her spine. She couldn't shake the thought of unseen eyes following her every move, her pulse quickening with unease. She kept these fears to herself, not wanting to cause a stir or worry anyone unnecessarily.

She hoped it was all in her head, a product of stress or a wild imagination. But the feeling stuck around, even got stronger as days went by. London was a tough cookie, though, and she wasn't about to let some shadowy feeling get the best of her.

Eventually, it got too much, and she spilled the beans to Sage. Sage thought they should loop Maxon in, but London wasn't keen on that idea. They settled on a more discreet plan—setting up security cameras around her place for peace of mind.

Now, with a new job on the horizon, Sage and London were all hyped up. They'd been called out to Atlanta by a client for wedding prep—a big deal, for sure.

They packed with precision, ticking off every item on their list. London also had to sort out care for Katara while they were away. She found the perfect babysitter, someone she could trust to look after her little girl with all the love and care she'd give herself.

With everything in place, Sage and London hopped on their flight to Atlanta, full of joy and a touch of nerves. They were ready to make some wedding magic happen.

Hitting the ground running in Atlanta, the energy was buzzing, and Sage and I were riding that wave

Hitting the ground running in Atlanta, the energy was buzzing, and Sage and I were riding that wave. We made a beeline for baggage claim, with thoughts of our Uber ride and the upcoming itinerary in our heads.

Sage took a moment to ring up her boyfriend, Jackson, to let him know we'd landed safe and sound, promising more deets later. Once we snagged our luggage and hopped in the Uber, we could feel the tension start to melt away.

Checking into our hotel rooms, the seriousness of the wedding prep hit me. Tomorrow, I'd be diving in, while Sage had bridesmaid dress duties to attend to. I took a beat to unpack and catch some Z's, figuring I'd hit the mall later for a little break.

Back from the mall, I switched into something comfier and gave the babysitter a call to see how Katara was holding up. Their smiling faces popped up on screen, and my heart ached to be there with them. We said our goodbyes, and I drifted off, their images a balm to my soul.

 We said our goodbyes, and I drifted off, their images a balm to my soul

Sage nudged me awake—it was time for dinner. I shook off the sleep, showered, and picked out an outfit that was equal parts comfort and class. After running through my skincare steps, I grabbed my purse, dabbed on some lip gloss, and was about to head out when Maxon's call came through.

I gathered myself before answering, ready to charm and chat with Maxon, whatever the reason for his call.

"Hello," I say, my voice betraying a hint of nerves as I hear movement on the other end of the line. Maxon's voice comes through with an accusatory tease, "So, you took off without a word, and now you're out and about?"

I can't help but roll my eyes, even though he can't see. "Look, I don't need to report my comings and goings to you," I tell him, my tone firm. I hear him laugh, a sound that's so close to tears it unsettles me, and despite myself, I start laughing too.

His next words send a shiver down my spine, "When you're back, I'll show you things you've never even dreamed of." The warmth that spreads through me is immediate, and I cross my legs to steady myself. But I won't let him know just how much he's affecting me. "Sure, Maxon. See you when I get back," I say, and I end the call before things can escalate.

I'm about to head out when my phone buzzes with a text, making my heart leap into my throat.

My Nigga👅😩
Bet!

Leaving Maxon's call and my conflicted emotions behind for the moment, I step out to meet Sage. We decide on a nearby restaurant that's got a cozy vibe. I go for the shrimp pasta, Sage gets the chicken alfredo, and we're both ready for a good meal and better conversation.

I can't help but spill about my earlier exchange with Maxon, sharing how sometimes it feels like he's more attentive to me than to his own girlfriend. Sage listens, then hits me with the question, "Are you falling for him more while we're here?"

It's complicated, and I admit that my feelings are a mess. Sometimes I push him away, but it only makes me want him more. Sage hears me out, then dishes out some straight-up advice: "If you really want this, and he's down to put you and Kat first, why not go for it?"

I take in her words silently, grateful but not ready to dive deeper. Sage, sensing this, smoothly shifts gears, and we talk about her plans with Jackson and other lighter topics until we wrap up dinner.

Back at the hotel, I touch base with the babysitter and see Katara's doing just fine. Then it's off to bed for me, but before I can settle in, Maxon's on the line again. We talk, me spilling my guts while he multitasks, his focus split between his computer, his phone, and me.

Eventually, sleep pulls me in, and I drift off with the phone still on, Maxon's presence a silent comfort in the darkness.

...