Pit Stop

September 30th, 1998

Nicholas Parker was passing through Raccoon City on his way to his niece's 3rd birthday party. As luck would have it, he noticed that his car was running low on gas, forcing him to make an unscheduled stop at the nearest gas station.

Little did Nick know, this seemingly ordinary pit stop would soon escalate into a nightmarish encounter. As he pulled into the gas station, he couldn't help but feel an eerie chill running down his spine. The flickering lights and abandoned ambiance hinted at something sinister lurking in the shadows.

To try his best to distract himself, Nick put in his earbuds and blasted some music. He stepped out of the car and began pumping gas, hoping the rhythmic beats would temporarily drown out his growing unease.

Suddenly, piercing the cacophony of his chosen tunes, a sound of shattering glass reverberated through the air. The noise was so jarring that it forced its way through his favorite song and penetrated his eardrums, leaving him momentarily stunned.

"What the hell?" Nick whispered to himself, a shiver crawling up his spine. Instinctively, he removed one earbud, allowing the surrounding silence to seep in, revealing the unsettling stillness that now enveloped the gas station.

Not long after, another loud sound of shattering glass echoed through the air, causing Nick to abruptly cease pumping gas.

Contemplating his options, a fleeting thought of simply fleeing the scene crossed his mind. However, a gnawing sense of guilt tugged at his conscience. The possibility that someone might be in distress and in need of help compelled him to take action.

Nick opened the glove compartment of his car, retrieving a sharp pocket knife that he kept for emergencies. Securing it in his grip, he took measured steps towards the entrance of the gas station, the unsettling noises from within growing louder with each passing moment.

"What the hell am I doing?!" Nick thought to himself, his mind racing with a mix of fear and adrenaline, before slowly opening the creaking door to the gas station.

As he cautiously stepped inside, a blanket of impenetrable darkness engulfed him, leaving him blinded to his surroundings.  Nick could hear the distinct sound of someone groaning in pain, their anguished cries echoing through the silent void.

Summoning every ounce of courage he had left, Nick carefully navigated through the darkness, his heart pounding in his chest. As he moved to the other side of the room, a faint glimmer of light revealed a man slumped against the wall, clutching his neck in apparent agony.

"Oh my god, are you okay, dude?!" Nick asked, his voice laden with concern, as he instinctively kneeled down in front of the injured man.

Without uttering a single word, the man gradually raised a trembling hand, pointing towards a room just a few feet away. The air was pierced by the relentless sound of loud banging emanating from inside.

"Stay here. I'll be right back, I promise," Nick said, reassuringly, as he stood up, his determination burning in his eyes, and hesitantly stepped into the dimly lit room.

As he entered, a chilling scene unfolded before his horrified gaze. A police officer, with pure desperation etched across his face, had successfully cornered a man against the wall, clearly aiming to apprehend and handcuff him. The clinking sound of metal against metal filled the air as the officer wrestled with his suspect, their struggle resembling a life-and-death battle in the eerie shadows.

Driven by an uncontrollable curiosity, Nick inched closer to gain a better view of the unfolding chaos. In his haste, his foot accidentally collided with a nearby bottle, sending it clattering to the ground. The noise snapped the officer's attention away from his assailant, causing him to whirl around, locking eyes with Nick for a fleeting moment.