Raccoon City

"What the hell is going on?" Claire asked, her voice filled with concern, as Nick drove down the desolate road.

Nick glanced at her briefly, sensing the fear and confusion that mirrored his own. "No idea. I was hoping you knew," he responded, his voice laced with uncertainty.

"I'm Claire, by the way. Claire Redfield," she introduced herself, reaching out to shake his hand, an attempt to find some kind of comfort in this newfound partnership amidst chaos.

"Nicholas Parker," Nick said, his grip firm despite the trembling in his fingers. "Nice to meet you, Claire. You live around here?"

Claire's eyes hardened with determination. "No, I'm looking for my brother. He went missing a couple of weeks ago. What about you?"

"I'm just passing through on my way to Chicago," Nick explained, his gaze glued to the road ahead, as if searching for answers.

Claire's eyes widened as she noticed the crimson stains splattered across Nick's shirt. Concern etched into her features, she asked, "Are you okay?"

Nick hesitated for a moment, wearing a pained expression. "Oh, um, yeah. Just had a close call back at the gas station, is all," he responded, his voice tinged with unease.

Curiosity and worry swirled within Claire as she pressed for more information. "What happened?" she asked.

Nick took a deep breath, his gaze still fixated on the road ahead. "I don't even know. I heard glass breaking as I pulled up to get gas, and I saw a police officer wrestling with some guy. And then, out of nowhere, the guy just bit a chunk out of the officer's neck," he recounted, his voice trembling slightly.

A surge of sadness washed over Nick's face, and guilt weighed heavy in his words. "And I just ran away and didn't even try to help the poor officer," he admitted, his voice laced with regret.

"Hey," Claire said softly, her voice reassuring as she placed a comforting hand on Nick's leg. "There's nothing you could have done at that point. Don't beat yourself up over it."

Nick let out a sigh of relief, the weight of guilt slowly lifting from his shoulders. Finally taking his eyes off the road, he met Claire's gaze and whispered, "Thanks."

Wanting to divert their thoughts from the horrors that surrounded them, Claire tried to change the subject. "Chicago, huh?" she inquired, her voice filled with curiosity. "What do you have going on there?"

"It's my niece's birthday tomorrow, and she wanted me there," Nick explained, a small smile tugging at the corners of his mouth.

Claire's eyes softened, warmth filling her voice. "Aw, that's cute. How old is she?"

Nick's eyes sparkled with affectionate pride as he replied, "She'll be three."

"Make sure to tell her I said happy birthday," Claire exclaimed, her smile radiant and full of warmth, as if trying to reassure Nick that joy could still exist in their shattered world.

Nick's expression softened, a somber reflection crossing his features. "I hope she's okay," he murmured.

After ten minutes of driving, they finally arrived at Raccoon City. However, their hopes for safety and respite were quickly dashed as the sight that awaited them left them speechless. The city was in chaos, mirroring the horror they had encountered at the gas station. Fires raged uncontrollably, painting the cityscape in hues of destruction and despair. Zombies roamed the streets, their vacant eyes and insatiable hunger a haunting testament to the nightmare that had consumed Raccoon City.

"Oh my god," Claire gasped, a hand instinctively covering her mouth in shock and disbelief.

As they cautiously navigated through the streets, a crackling voice resonated from an intercom, echoing eerily amidst the chaos. "Attention all citizens," the voice announced, piercing through the destruction. "Due to the city-wide outbreak, you are advised to take shelter at the Raccoon City Police Station. Free food and medical supplies will be provided to anyone in need."