The Truth Comes Out

"Self-destruction mode activated," a voice on the intercom announced, its tone filled with impending doom.

Nick sprinted out of the room. As he emerged into the corridor, he caught sight of Ada, effortlessly hacking into a nearby elevator. Anger surged within him like an inferno, fueled by a mix of betrayal and frustration.

His eyes locked onto Ada, and a storm of emotions brewed within him. The pain of witnessing the destruction and loss caused by the G virus mingled with his anger at Ada's involvement.

"I was just thinking about you," Nick said, his voice calm yet laced with a layer of suspicion, as he slowly walked towards Ada.

A hint of relief flashed across Ada's face as she limped closer to Nick. "That makes two of us. I was getting worried. Claire found a train for us to escape."

Nick's cold stare remained fixed upon Ada, his gaze piercing through the depths of her eyes.

"Please tell me you got the sample," Ada pleaded.

A hint of a smirk tugged at the corner of Nick's lips as he raised the precious vial he had retrieved. He coldly uttered, "Oh, I got it alright."

"Great, let me see it, and I'll confirm the sample. Then we can get out of here," Ada said, extending her hand out.

"Before we do that, I ran into Annette. She claims you're not FBI," Nick said.

Ada's eyes widened in shock, her expression quickly shifting to one of disappointment. She swiftly reached for her gun, pointing it directly at Nick. "Oh, Nick, why couldn't you have just handed over the sample?"

"Because I realized, as much as I wanted to trust you..." Nick's voice quivered with a mix of anger and disappointment as he raised his gun, pointing it directly at Ada. "I didn't!"

Ada's features contorted with sadness, a wave of regret washing over her. "I really hoped it wouldn't end up like this."

Nick's grip tightened on his weapon, his face a mask of betrayal. "So, that's all this was, huh? We were just some pawns to you?"

Ada shifted uneasily under Nick's accusing gaze. "Look, I'm just doing my job."

"Bullshit! Now drop that damn gun!" Nick's voice boomed.

"Hand over the sample, Nick," Ada said, her tone firm and resolute. "I don't want to hurt you."

Nick's gaze softened ever so slightly as he looked at Ada. he made a daring choice and dropped his gun, the metallic thud echoing through the room. "Then you're gonna have to kill an unarmed man for it."

Ada stood frozen, her grip on her gun tightening. Conflicting emotions wrestled within her as she contemplated the consequences of her actions.

"DO IT!" Nick's voice erupted.

Ada let out a heavy sigh before finally lowering her gun.

Nick and Ada exchanged a brief, silent glance. Just as they were about to take a step towards each other, a deafening gunshot rang through the air, shattering their moment of possible reconciliation. Ada's body jolted as a bullet pierced her side, her eyes wide with pure shock as she instinctively grasped at the searing pain.

Nick's head snapped in the direction of the shot, his eyes widening in disbelief as he saw Annette standing there, the gun still smoking in her hand.

The platform beneath them suddenly began to shake violently, the ominous rumblings signaling the imminent self-destruction of the building. The ground tremors jolted Nick's hand, causing the vial containing the precious sample to slip from his grasp, disappearing into the dark abyss below.