The Police Station

After barely making it past the hordes of zombies, Nick finally reached the police station. Feeling a sense of relief, he opened the front doors, expecting to see survivors.

To his shock, however, it appeared completely empty.

"Hello?" he called out, his voice echoing across the building, but receiving no response. The silence hung heavy in the air as Nick cautiously stepped inside.

Suddenly, a cop emerged from around the corner, pointing a gun at Nick.

"Whoa, there. I'm human," Nick said.

The officer hesitated for a moment, then slowly lowered his gun. "Sorry. You can never be too sure," he replied, his eyes scanning Nick for any signs of deceit.

Feeling a mix of relief and apprehension, Nick took a step closer. "Where's everyone else?"

The cop's expression grew somber as he shifted his weight, his injury evident. With a weary gesture towards a nearby chair, he replied, "This is it."

"You haven't happened to see a girl around here, have you? Red jacket, jeans, name is Claire?" Nick asked.

"I said this is it," the cop replied, sinking into the chair and grimacing as he held his side, his face etched with pain.

Nick's heart sank, worry for Claire consuming his thoughts. The thought of her lost in the chaos, alone, tightened his chest.

"You're not Leon, are you?" the cop asked, his eyes darting toward a nearby computer.

Nick shook his head, a sense of disappointment lingering beneath his reply. "Afraid not. Name's Nick."

"Good. Leon is a rookie whose first day was today. He's probably the luckiest bastard in the world for not coming in today," the cop said, a touch of bitterness tainting his tone.

Nick's attention was drawn to the cop's injury, the sight of blood staining his hands. Concern etched across his face, he couldn't ignore the obvious signs of pain.

"Are you okay there?"

The cop waved off his concern nonchalantly, a flicker of discomfort passing across his face. "I'm fine. This is nothing," he replied dismissively, trying to downplay the severity of his wound.

Nick's brow furrowed with skepticism, but he decided not to push further.

"Wait, is this your girl?" the cop asked, pointing to the screen of his computer.

Nick shifted his gaze towards the monitor, his heart leaping in his chest at the sight of Claire's determined figure outside, struggling to open a gate.

"Yes, that's her! I knew she'd make it," Nick exclaimed with relief.

The cop nodded, a hint of a smile crossing his face. "She's got some fight in her, that's for sure."

Encouragement fueled Nick's steps as he turned towards the cop, a grateful expression on his face. "How do I get to that courtyard? I need to reach her."

The cop pointed towards the stairs, his voice steady with confidence. "You can access that courtyard through the east side of the second floor. Hurry, she might need your help."

"Thank you," Nick said with gratitude, his resolve strengthening as he began to ascend the stairs, his determination to reach Claire burning in his heart.

As he entered a room upstairs, he was taken aback by the sight of colorful balloons adorning every corner, their vibrant hues dancing in the dimly lit space. His eyes were drawn to a banner stretching across the far wall, proclaiming in bold letters, "Welcome Leon."