Chapter 2

We pull into the reserved parking spot for my dad. I jump out of the car, while my dad opens the trunk. I took my school bag out and leave my soccer bag behind, since tryouts are after school. I keep the trunk open so my dad can get his stuff.  

As he walks toward me I kiss his cheek and say, "Bye Dad! See you after school!"  

"Bye Anna," he replies.  

I walk towards the school doors, passing the open courtyard, picnic benches scattered everywhere. Two or three tall oak trees are looming above everyone. People are everywhere. Mostly sophomores and juniors. The freshmen are usually all inside, on their way to class, making sure they don't get lost on the first day of school. The seniors wouldn't be here yet, with almost a half hour till school starts.  

I see almost the whole boys soccer team standing and sitting around near the huge oak tree right in the middle of the courtyard. Some of the girls that play in the spring are there also. We soccer players, more like the starters of the teams, practically own that tree and the land around it. People know not to hang around there.  

My friends see me walking towards them and wave. I wave back, picking out everybody over there. I see John, Mike, Craig, and Gavin, our defense. I spot our midfielders, Henry, Ben, Danny, and Jeff. Eric and Allen, our forwards are also there. But the goalie, Alex isn't there, which is weird.  

All of a sudden I'm thrown over somebody's shoulder and being carried towards everyone. I look at the head of my captor and see the jet black, styled hair of, the one and only, Alex. And he happens to be 6'1, and very strong, making it almost impossible for me to magically jump out of his grip. But I don't mind because one, he is my best friend, and two, I don't have to waste my energy walking over there.  

Alex sets me down and I turn to face him. He looks at me with his 'I didn't do anything' look. I glare at him and he grins. I pull him into a hug. My head rests against his chest, since I'm only 5'7.  

"Alex! I've missed you over the summer!" I say, pulling out of the hug.  

"I've missed you too Anna." He replies laughing at my enthusiasm. 

Somebody taps my shoulder. I turn to face them and see Henry, one of the fastest midfielders, who is just about my height, looking sad. "You didn't miss me?" He asks looking hurt. I knew he was joking but I played along.  

"No." I replied. I kept a straight face. He fake gasped.  

"Of course I did, silly," I say, hugging him too. The boys team are my best friends. The girls don't like me too much because of my friendships with them, and my dad being the coach, but we coexist peacefully enough.  

I pull out of the hug and say hi to everyone else on the team. They all return it and smile at me. 

I turn back to Alex, wanting to catch up with him.  

"So, what did you do all summer?" I asked him.  

"Ehh.. Not too much. I had three soccer camps for a week each. Lots of fun. Team and I had a party. Exclusively boys though. But otherwise pretty lazy summer. I went outside with the ball almost once a day too. What about you?" He tells me.  

"I had some camps too. Left small town Salem for a week at a Florida beach. I went outside almost everyday too." I answered him.  

"That sounds like fun," Alex said. 

"Yep. It was," I agree. After a few seconds of silence I say, "So... Did you meet any girls?" I wiggled my eyebrows at him, making him laugh, which caused me to laugh.  

"Unfortunately... No." He said, sighing loudly. 

I patted him on the shoulder, "Don't worry, you will." He just nodded.  

I pulled out my phone, checking to see what time it was. 7:48. We had ten minutes to get to class.  

"Well, I got to go get my schedule and get to my locker before class starts. What class do you have first?" I asked Alex.  

"Economics." He says. I laugh at him and give him a good luck.  

I wave bye to everyone and head inside. I walk to the school office to get my schedule. Once I get it, I look at my seven class periods. I get a text from Alex, asking what my schedule looked like. I texted back: 1 -Public Speaking 2- Government 3- English. Then lunch. 4- Pre-calc 5- Biology 6- Foreign Language 7- Free period. :) what about u? I send it and head to the junior hallway. I see my locker and plow to it. I quickly open it and grab my Public Speaking notebook and my pencil case. I started for the classroom an pulled out my phone to see what classes Alex had.  

His text said: 1-Economics 2- Pre-calc 3- English. Then lunch. Yay we have English and lunch together!:D haha 4- Free period. 5- Foreign Language 6- Public Speaking 7-Biology. Yuck classes, Haha. See you at English! 

I sent him: Okay! See ya.  

I walked into the classroom and looked around, seeing if any of my other friends shared Public Speaking with me. I see Ben sitting towards the back and start heading towards him. I sit in front of him and turn around to talk to him. We exchange small talk about the summer until the teacher comes in. I turn around and look to see who the teacher is. Uh-oh. Its Mr. Frank. He is a strict teacher. First class- not fun. I pull out my pen and start doodling in my journal, knowing this will be a boring class.