Chapter 8

"Alright boys," my dad said, "I'm picking the guys on the team today, you all know that." Everyone nodded.  

"So I'm gonna start off by saying that everyone worked hard, has the ambition, skill, and respect for everyone around them. That is why.... EVERYONE MADE THE TEAM!" My dad shouted, trying to get the guys riled up. Nobody did anything. They all just smiled. Charlie was a little more excited then the rest, since he was nervous he wouldn't make the team.  

"What? No whoops of congratulations?" My father asked.  

"Coach, you do this every year. Tell us everyone worked hard, and then scream 'EVERYONE MADE THE TEAM'. Its not that hard to realize what you're gonna say." Alex explained. All the other boys nodded their heads, me included.  

"Oh... Well you boys could at least pretend to act excited for my sake," my dad said, somewhat pouting.

All the boys looked at each other and simultaneously started whooping, "YEAH WE GOT ON THE TEAM!" "YAY WE MADE THE TEAM!" All the usual things they would say.  

My dad immediately got happier. "That's better." We all laughed. "Now to more serious business. Practices start next week. 3:30-5:30. Everyday after school. Don't be late. If you happen to be late, get a note. Parents, teachers, guardians, all that jazz." My dad explained.  

"All that jazz?" Charlie whispered.  

"Its just an expression," I explained, giggling a bit.  

"Right," he whispered. "I knew that."  

"Sure you did Charlie."  

"I did. I was making sure you knew what it meant."  

"Keep telling yourself that, Charlie," I sassed.  

Charlie stuck his tongue out at me.  

"Just remember: keep your grades up and no trouble. And also remember that your starting spots aren't guaranteed. You work and earn them during practice. Got it?" My dad reminded the boys.  

The guys all nodded their heads in understanding.  

"Good. Now go away and have some fun this weekend." My dad said, waving them away with his hands.  

"Bye Coach," "See ya Coach," flew around as the team left. Only Alex remained.  

"Coach, who's team captain?" He asked.  

"Hmm... Find out next week." My dad decided.  

"Alrighty.," Alex replied. He turned toward me. "The team's going out to celebrate. Wanna come?" 

"Where?" I asked.  

"Probably bowling," Alex replied.  

"Tradition, tradition, huh?" I joked. We laughed.  

"Yep," Alex said.  

"Does that mean pizza and then a silly string war afterwards?" I asked, raising my eyebrow.  

"You know it," Alex grinned ear to ear.  

"Awesome. I'm coming," I said. "Let me go tell my dad." 

I jogged over to my dad. "Hey dad? The whole team is going bowling and then having pizza. It okay if I go?"  

"Silly string war too?" He asked.  

"Probably," I answered.  

"Any extra clothes than that?" He pointed to my outfit.  

"The guys always make sure the silly string isn't stainable." I reassured.  

"Okay, have fun. Don't get into a lot of trouble ," he reminded. He handed me $50.  

"I won't. Love you," I said jogging away after kissing him on the cheek.  

"Love you too! Have fun!" He yelled.  

"Thanks!" I yelled back.  

I went towards Alex and he asked, "All good?"  

"Yep. Let's roll." We were walking towards Alex's 1997 faded blue Chevy pickup truck. All the guys were sitting in the back of the truck. Except Charlie. He wasn't sitting back there.  

"Alex, where's Charlie? He isn't in the back," I wondered. I hope Charlie would come. He is part of the team.  

My crush of Charlie had grown the whole week. But nobody knew.  

"I'm right here Anna, don't worry. I'm not gonna break tradition." Charlie's voice cam from behind me. I jumped at the sound of his voice and turned around. 

"Somebody get scared?" Alex taunted.  

"No," I immediately replied.  

"I think you did get scared Anna," Alex said again. I started blushing. "Awww! Wittle Anna Bwanana is bwushing guys!" Alex exclaimed, in a baby voice. I turned a very bright red, as the whole team laughed at his comment.  

"Shut up guys. We ALL know that I have something embarrassing about each one of you," I threatened. They all got quiet almost immediately. "That's what I thought." 

We all laughed and Alex, Charlie and I got into the truck. Charlie and I went into the back with the rest of the team, while Alex drove. He had all the windows open so we could hear the music, and he could hear us too. We pulled out of the school parking lot around 3:30. 

Alex kept the radio blasting, with us in the back singing along horribly to I Knew You Were Trouble by Taylor Swift. We kept singing and laughing the whole ride.  

We arrived Al's Bowling Alley around 4. We all jumped out of the pickup and walked inside.  

Let the fun begin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

COMMENT! VOTE! SHARE! THANKS GUYS!!<3