𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 | third time's the charm

tell me why, your hands... are cold.
- men i trust

-

THOMAS sat in English with Mrs. Ellenis, waiting for his teacher to start the class and give instruction. He bounced his leg up and down on the ground subtly, staring at the floor with his arms crossed on the desk as he zoned out to kill time.

"Um.. are you okay?" Thomas heard a voice beside him, jolting him from whatever trance he had been in, causing him to glance up and find the holder of the sudden sound. His eyes met those of a girl with clear blue eyes and wavy brunette hair that framed her face. He paused for a second before speaking, unsure if she was talking to him.

Then, he cleared his throat, "Are you talking to me?"

The girl chuckled, "Yeah, I am. Are you okay?"

Thomas smiled briefly, "Yes, yeah, I'm fine, thanks."

"Good, good." She said, pausing, and then opening her mouth to speak again before being interrupted by some girls giggling in the back of the room. She glanced up from Thomas to look at the students, and then spoke again, "Sorry, I have to go, but I'll be right back." The girl walked away, over to the group of other girls as they started to talk to each other.

"Um.. okay?" Thomas muttered underneath his breath, shaking his head slightly and sighing as he slumped into his chair. He resumed his incessant waiting, staring at the front of the classroom. He watched as Mrs. Ellenis typed away at her computer, looking back between the screen and some papers stacked next to her. Not in a creepy or weird way, of course. It was just something to look at and keep him busy.

Then, someone walked by, covering his view of her—a boy who looked too familiar.

Thomas chuckled, "Wow, look who showed up." He still was slumping back into his chair, gazing at Newt as the boy started to make his way over to an empty seat behind Thomas, who was turning his head around to speak to his tutee.

"Shut up," Newt retorts, the longer part of his blond hair slightly bouncing up and down as he takes a seat.

"So, what made you come here today?" Thomas asked.

Newt had just placed his bag down next to his desk on the floor, and paused before glancing his eyes up towards Thomas without moving his head.

Thomas' eyes narrowed, and then he chuckled, "What? It's an honest question."

Newt hesitated, putting his elbow atop of the desk and leaning on it, rubbing the back of his head and neck. But then he spoke, "Just thought it'd be best to start showing up to class now, I guess."

Thomas grinned, "Are my suggestions rubbing off on you?"

Newt ignored his question, "Didn't know you were in this class."

"Well considering that I didn't know you were in this class either, there wasn't much of a reason to mention it."

Newt was about to retort back when a girl he had never seen before, partially because he never showed up to class and also because he wasn't very social, walked up to Thomas and leaned on his desk, Thomas himself turning around from facing Newt as she walked over. Of course, he knew who she was.

"Sorry about that," she said, "Just had to talk to my friends for a bit."

Thomas smiled, "It's alright." The girl beamed at that, tucking her hair behind her ear.

"So, I was wondering—" She started, speaking at a normal voice level before simmering down to a whisper, "A friend of mine's hosting a party this Friday at her dorm, and.. I was wondering if you'd like to go. It'll be fun, there'll be a ton of people there and don't hesitate to invite your friends. Just keep it on the down low, since we don't want to alarm any of the school's staff."