𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧 | head over heels

CLASS had ended, and now Thomas and Newt were the only two left sitting in the classroom as Mrs. Ellenis watched over them, marking rubrics and putting in scores into the gradebook. As Language Arts was the final class of the day, Thomas and Newt still had unfinished conversations left to be said—but they were just going to have to wait until the opportunity to discuss it arose.    

Newt and Thomas sat on opposite ends of the classroom, as Mrs. Ellenis had separated them to prevent any more note passing... These seating arrangements were permanent. Though Newt was annoyed, having to sit so far away from Thomas now, he actually found some positives in his new spot. He was right by the window, allowing him to gaze outside at the tree that towered over the classroom. He watched as the leaves swayed from wind, imagining taking cute pictures with Thomas underneath the tree in the Fall as the foliage changed colors, becoming red, orange, yellow, and even brown.

Thomas was the one to keep his original seat. Yes, he was sad as well that he and Newt  weren't close in range anymore, but likewise to Newt, he too enjoyed the new view that was uncovered.

The view was Newt, with the light from the window beside him shining through his hair, lighting his golden strands up, like always.

"Eyes on your own paper, Thomas." Mrs. Ellenis scolded, catching him looking at Newt yet again. She pointed down at her clipboard to motion for Thomas to keep on writing. Him and Newt were working on a short, easy, extra assignment for detention.

Thomas nodded his head slightly before returning back to his work. After a couple of seconds, he lifted his head once more, this time not to look at Newt, but to glance at the clock—it read 4:52pm. They had been there for about an hour by now, which meant that they would be dismissed shortly.

And just like that, Mrs. Ellenis got up and out of her seat. This caused Thomas and Newt to close their notebooks, but—

"Nope, not so fast," Mrs. Ellenis grabbed an empty tote bag and a large binder off her desk, "I have to go print out some worksheets up in the library. When I return, that's when I will release you to go about your day. Until then, I expect you two to be on your best behavior." She then exited the classroom without saying another word, leaving the two boys alone.

As soon as she was out of sight, Newt turned to Thomas, "Okay, so can you answer my question now?"

Thomas avoided his gaze, "I don't know what you're referring to."

Newt scoffed, "Tommy, your fucking lecture about love—you were talking about how you've found love. That's what I'm referring to. So, did you mean it?"

"Yes, of course I fucking meant it. I have found love. Like I said, it's all around us."

Newt rolled his eyes, "Cut the bullshit, Tommy. I mean, have you found romantic love? With someone?"

Thomas didn't respond.

"Okay, you don't wanna say it first? Fine, I'll fucking say it:" Newt got out of his seat, standing up and walking towards Thomas, "Tommy, I love you. I have loved you ever since—probably Minho's birthday party. I only realized it a few days afterwards, when you helped me with meeting Lizzy at the park. God, I can't—I can't express how much I care for you in words, but I'll try. You're compassionate, selfless, caring—you have all the attributes someone needs. And you were there for me when I needed someone's shoulder to cry on, and that's what made me view you differently. I feel so comfortable with you, and I can spill my guts to you without you judging me."

"At first, I thought it was just a regular crush. I cursed at myself over, and over, because I was falling into a trap that I knew I wouldn't be able to get out of. But fuck, Thomas, as I watched you get closer with Teresa, and then dance with her at prom? I—I really fell in love with you. And in a matter of weeks, too. That says something. Tommy, I'm really, really, head over heels in love with you. I am your Sam, and you are my Stephen."