𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧 | tense

"THREE... TWO... ONE!" A collective number of students in Mrs. Ellenis's class finished counting down right as the bell rang, dismissing the teenagers and announcing the start of the Summer break.

People began rushing out of the classroom, their backpacks practically falling off of their bodies as they raced to their dorms or wherever they wanted to go. Thomas, on the other hand, immediately ran to the other end of the classroom, near the window—to Newt.

"Happy last day of our Junior year," Thomas grinned with pure joy, going in for a hug as he wrapped his arms around Newt's back, rubbing it slightly.

Newt laughed lightly, "You too, Tommy." He put his arms around Thomas, smiling into his neck. They then parted, grinning at each other with pure joy as Teresa approached them.

"You two are cute," She said, smiling sweetly at them, crossing her arms and holding her jacket.

Newt chuckled, walking towards her, "Thanks, Teresa."

The three of them walked out of the classroom, side by side, chatting.

"So, are we still on for tonight?" Teresa asked the couple.

"Yeah, of course! I can't wait to hang out with everyone," Thomas confirmed as they continued walking through the halls of school towards their dorms.

⥃☕︎⥂

"Oh my gosh, hey!!" Brenda laughed, running towards the entrance of the restaurant later that night and going in for a light hug to Thomas and Newt.

"Hey, Brenda," Thomas greeted before gesturing to Newt, "Sorry, I can't remember—have you met Newt?"

"Briefly at Prom, before he was your boyfriend," Brenda chuckled as Thomas' expression turned slightly blank. She raised an eyebrow, "You look surprised. Why are you surprised?"

Thomas dug his hands into his pockets, knowing that he and Newt weren't technically boyfriends yet, but deciding not to point anything out, "Minho told you, huh?"

"Of course he did," Brenda smirked, punching Thomas lightly in the stomach and teasing him. Thomas pushed her away with a grin before walking off to speak with the others.

"So..." Brenda began, turning to face Newt, "Tell me all the details, blondie."

⥃☕︎⥂

"Thank you," The teenagers farewelled as they turned to walk out of the restaurant, shutting the entrance door behind them.

"Oh my god, we need to go to an amusement park when school starts up again! It would be so much fun," Brenda suggested once they reached outside, squealing slightly and holding on to Teresa's arm in excitement.

"Yeah, oh my gosh—" Minho laughed, "And for graduation, we can all get pizza or something afterwards."

Thomas looked in front of himself at all of those standing with him: Frypan, Brenda, Teresa, Minho, and—and Newt. Thomas wouldn't be here, in New York, next school year. He'd be across the nation in San Francisco, without being able to slip his warm hand into a certain blond's cold one.

The group began to walk back towards the school, but Thomas couldn't stop thinking about the predicament he was in. As Frypan was rambling on about the new Gordon Ramsay episode that had come out, Thomas could only focus on the feeling of Newt's arm that was currently intertwined with his. The warmth that was radiating was strong, not just because of their love for each other but also because of sweat. From Thomas.

His senses were at an all-time high—suddenly Thomas felt his clothes that rested upon his skin, the fabric itching himself in some areas and not in others. He noticed every step he took and tried not to step on any cracks on the ground. And—was he breathing loudly? Thomas started to become aware of his breathing, making it unnatural, and difficult.