𝐭𝐞𝐧 | loverboy

there's things i wanna say to you, but i'll just let you live.
- lana del rey

-

newtt
4:24pm - already here but heading to the restroom
4:24pm - got a table near the window, there's three cups of coffee on it

Two messages from Newt flashed onto Thomas' screen as he entered the familiar cafe, the bell above the door jingling as always. He lifted his head up, his eyes scanning the room for the table Newt had been describing—it was quickly spotted without a problem. Thomas walked over there, sitting in the chair furthest from the window, setting down his book bag that contained his laptop, seeing that Newt's bag was right next to his. He picked up one of the coffees and took a sip as he took out his computer.

"Oh, Tom, hey!" Teresa said, walking through the door of the cafe and making her way to the table.

"Hey," Thomas said, scooching his chair inwards just a tad bit to make it easier for Teresa to reach her seat. Teresa sat down, her too, leaning her tote against a leg of the table.

Teresa looked at the leftover two drinks on the table, "Do you think I'm allowed to have one of these?"

Thomas chuckled, "Well, I'm having one, aren't I? Plus, I don't think Newt would have bought two coffees for himself."

"Two?" Teresa questioned, "Do you guys buy each other coffee normally?"

"Yeah," Thomas explained, "Just a thing we started doing, I guess."

"Oh, that's cool," Teresa picked up a drink and took a sip, "Wonder when that boy will be back from the bathroom."

"Been wondering the same thing," Thomas agreed, coincidentally at the same time as Newt rounded the corner and came face-to-face with the two.

"Oh, hey, guys." He said, sitting down right by the window.

His blond hair illuminated under the sunlight, allowing his brown eyes to stand out and shine through. Thomas gazed at him, wanting to reach out and run his fingers through Newt's hair—but that's weird and completely out of character for Thomas, so he resisted.

"Hey," Teresa reached into her bag and took out her laptop, "Thanks for the coffee, Newt."

"No problem," Newt smiled, playing with his fair by twirling a stray piece, "Should we get started?" Newt started to bend down to get his computer, too.

"Uh, yeah, for sure." Thomas flipped open his laptop as the others did, and they began to work.

⥃☕︎⥂

The next day, Newt and Thomas sit in Language Arts, waiting for class to begin, speaking to each other when Newt's phone buzzes non-stop.

Newt halted his talking, glancing over at his phone that sits next to his elbow on his desk, lighting up with the words, 'lizzy calling...' pasted across the screen. Newt reaches over and hits one of the volume buttons, letting the phone continue to ring silently. Thomas' eyes stay on the phone even after Newt reverts back to his original position and ignores the call.

Newt looks up at Thomas, noticing the way that the brunet continues to stare at the phone, scoffing, "What, Thomas?"

"Nothing, I just—" Thomas is cut off when Newt's phone vibrates once more, this time only a single buzz coming through. Newt's eyes shoot to the right again, glimpsing at the phone screen that shows three texts.

lizzy
1:46pm - hey, i know u don't want to hear from me rn, but i flew into the city last night
1:46pm - pls meet me at the park at 5:30 today
1:47pm - i just want to talk