Lost Cannot be Found

Fighting the urge to run back into the previous room due to Clary's screams, Calliope followed Magnus into another room.

"Now do you want to tell me where my memories are?" She asked him, gathering this ominous feeling in her chest as they approached the chair. Magnus wordlessly instructs her to sit down while a stool appeared  out of thin air for him to sit on.

"I never took your memories, Ardea," he simply tells her. "My magic simply doesn't work on you," he further explained.

"How can that be? Why couldn't the soul sword find my memories? Why didn't I—"

"I do not know why, or how," Magnus shakes his head. "But the first time your mother brought you to me, you could see my warlock mark. My glamour could not work on you nor could I take your memories away, as if something was actively repelling my magic to protect you."

"Then why can't I remember?" She asked him.

"My speculation was that since you and your sister are twins, your special connection allowed this to happen."

"So if Clary gets her memory back, then mine could as well?" She asked him, hopeful that it was the case, but the frown on Magnus' lips made her lose that hope.

"If that were the case, my little bird, then maybe it would've been easier."

"So my memories are lost, forever?" She frowned, disbelief at the fact that she might never recover the memories they needed to find her mother. She felt useless with just that.

"But don't be discouraged, I will do my best to retrieve your sister's," he comforts her, raising his hand once more. This time Calliope noticed that it was Alec waiting at the door, a serious expression on his face as he walked in.

"Prepare her, god knows what will end up happening tonight," Magnus sighed, getting off the stool and leaving the two in the room.

The silence was loud between the two of them, Alec could sense the discomfort that Calliope had when he entered the room. Now he sat across from her, his stele in hand as he eyed her.

"The demon we're summoning," he starts after taking a deep breath, "it's a greater demon." Calliope remained silent, her fist clenching the sleeve of her jacket. "I have to draw—" he stops his sentence when she moves forward, taking off her jacket. A lump formed in his throat when he saw what was underneath her jacket the whole night.

"Do it," her voice snaps him out of his daze, he closes his eyes for a second before he meets her eyes again.

"It's going to hurt—"

"Just," she snapped, turning around, her hair now swept to the front exposing her back. Alec manages to swallow that lump in his throat, he sweeps the remaining hair from her back, exposing the back of her right shoulder blade. Getting closer to her to be able to blow her skin in case it stung as bad as Clary felt when Jace drew her's.

"I'll be gentle," he whispered under his breath before he started to draw the rune. He could feel her back tense up, he starts to blow on the area his stele ran on. He could tell that she was resisting the urge to wince as he drew the rune, from where he was he could tell she was shaking. "I'm almost done."

"You must've heard what Magnus said about my memories," she started to speak, hearing the strain in her voice. "That my memories aren't likely to come back."

Alec remained silent.

"I guess you're right then, about me and Clary being in the way," she humorlessly laughs at herself, "risking your life for girls you don't even know."

Alec wanted to hit himself for saying all that. Lifting his stele from her skin, still blowing on the area to hopefully ease some pain.

"After we find my mother, I'll make sure that you never hear from us again," Calliope says, putting on her jacket as quickly as she could, wincing when it made contact with the fresh rune.