Chapter 1: Failed test

It's time to wake up, you told yourself while your phone alarm was still ringing, you wanted more time to sleep. The anticipation of the day ahead lingered from the night before. Today marked the culmination of two years of dedication to the revolutionary technology your team of scientists and bioengineers had been tirelessly developing, dubbed informally as "Protein Electricity."

Though lacking a catchy name, the potential of this technology was immense. Today, you had volunteered to be the first to test it. The goal: to harness electricity from proteins, akin to extracting it seemingly from thin air. This breakthrough could eliminate the need for cumbersome electric machinery, reclaiming residential space.

Having previously succeeded in extracting electricity from plants, the team had shifted focus to human applications. The blend of excitement and fear fueled your resolve as you prepared to unveil the results of years of hard work and innovation.

You rise from the bed, donning a pair of comfortable pants and a shirt, nothing special, knowing that your workplace will provide the necessary attire for the upcoming experiment. Nervously devouring breakfast, you hastily grab a thin jacket and your car keys. It's time to depart.

The parking garage, nestled among the apartment blocks taht were full of plants, offers a pleasant living environment, private enough yet conveniently located in the heart of the city of Gibraltar. With your keys, you unlock the door and slip into the car, shutting it behind you.

"Chariot, show me the fastest route to Electric Green laboratory Co." you said in a tired voice to your car, the monitor turned on.

 "Hello y/n, here's the fastest route" the car showed you a map with different ways to go and you started driving.

____________________

"y/n! Finally you are here, we have been waiting for you, we prepared the vest, pants and the protection gear is already in the fitting room" said your coworker and boss Robert. He was nice at least the times you worked with him, he didn't stand out but he was always smiling.

"Thanks, I can always count on you" you smiled to him "I'll prepare myself in one minute and I'll be going to the test room" you said while walking to the fitting room "cya in a sec".

The snug-fitting clothes served as a necessary precaution, a reminder of the potential risks. The specter of the experiment's failure  lingered in the background of your mind unsettling thought you chose to push them aside. Adorned in the secure attire, you made your way to the some what guarded test room. Its sterile, all-white interior housed nothing but a solitary chair at its center, amplifying the gravity of the impending trial.

"Alright Y/n, the chair has been insulated as well as your suit, you don't have anything to worry about"came the voice through the microphone, emanating from the adjacent room separated by a glass panel. Their watchful eyes observed you, while your vision on the other side remained obscured. "Just sit down and put the helmet that's hanging in the chair and after grab the cube of the floor" he ordered.

You did just that, nervous of this you took some big breaths while putting that helmet with weird cables on it.

 "I'm ready" you said.

A peculiar tingling sensation rippled through your extremities, giving the uncanny impression that your body was glitching. The box in your hands began emitting a gentle glow, signaling a seemingly successful process, for the moment.

Converting electricity from your own proteins, it seemed the rigorous work had not been in vain. However, the tingling intensified, escalating into a painful, burning sensation. The box radiated an intense light, and that blinding brilliance marked the final memory etched in your consciousness.