46; Finally Breaking The Ice

Context: Human AU. Inspired by a comic by "optcldrift" on instagram. I don't believe it was ever finished, but the idea of these two idiots going camping in snow and being ill-prepared for the weather is very amusing. The premise will be the same, but mine will be different. (Main divergence: no bear encounter. It's hilarious and perfect in the comic and there's no way I can recreate it in written form and do it justice.)

Crowley invites Aziraphale on a camping trip, in hopes that he can make it a romantic weekend and finally confess his feelings for him. Unfortunately, his hopeless romantic side got the better of him and he didn't prepare as much as he should have. Preparing had never been his forte in college, after all.

Word Count: 8,000

_____

Anthony J. Crowley had been in love with Aziraphale Z. Fell for as long as he could remember. Probably since the moment he first saw him. They had met in college and got along almost immediately. As their friendship grew, Aziraphale started falling for him too. The only problem was neither knew the other felt the same way. So, to ensure their friendship remained intact, neither ever did anything about it.

Until now.

Crowley couldn't take it anymore. He could never stop thinking of Aziraphale for too long. Not even while he was asleep. The poor, smitten bastard even dreamt of him! It was ridiculous. He had assumed it was only a crush, at the start. Boy, was he wrong. It had been years by this point. 11, to be exact. And he just couldn't take it anymore.

He had to say something. Do something. Even if it ended badly. And he knew Aziraphale was a sweet person. Too sweet, really. Even if he didn't feel the same way, he knew he'd let him down gently. So, he might as well rip off the bandage, right?

This was what he told himself as he threw a bag into the trunk of his car, got in and drove to Aziraphale's home.

~~~~~

Aziraphale was currently taking a break, on his recliner. He had spent all morning trying to replicate his late grandmother's chocolate chip muffin recipe, from memory. It had taken him ages to remember the details, to write everything down. Especially with Sunshine biting all the pages he was writing on. Aziraphale loved that damn cockatoo, but she truly was a little shit sometimes. He wondered where she got that attitude from. Certainly not from him, no, not at all. At any rate, she was good company, entertaining and a very loving pet. And she was incredibly smart too, mimicking noises, songs and voices.

Her favorite thing to mimic was Aziraphale's voice. His baby talk towards her, when he scolded her, even when he'd be fumbling about in the kitchen and he'd wind up cursing over something going wrong. The first time he heard the bird exclaim "FUCK!", he was shocked and he wondered if he was a horrible pet father for letting Sunshine hear that kind of language. Crowley, on the other hand, found it hilarious. Ever since that little incident, whenever the redhead would come over, he'd ask the bird 'What's Daddy's favorite word?', to which Sunshine would proudly repeat the profanity. Crowley would laugh, while Aziraphale scolded them both.

Speaking of Crowley, he had sent a text earlier, saying he was going to pop by, in a bit. That made Aziraphale very giddy, to the point he could barely focus on what he was reading. Then when he felt his phone vibrate with another message from him, he went down the rabbit hole of random photos they'd send to each other. Emphasis on random. They varied from simple selfies, showing off whatever they were up to on a certain day, to photos of strange things or the outfits of people Crowley would encounter on his work trips. Aziraphale lingered on one of the selfies Crowley had sent a few weeks back.