30; Even Now, I Still Love You

Context: Human AU. They're exes who are now forced to be near each other again because Crowley has moved into the same building due to personal reasons. (Honestly, I have no clue what this fic turned into. Like Aziraphale, I got carried away. Was meant to be more about them being exes, but shifted into the makeshift family at some point along the way)

It had been 6 years since Crowley had last spoken to Aziraphale, and considering their nasty little breakup, he hadn't expected their next conversation to start with them suddenly being neighbors.

Word Count: 15,000

_____

Crowley's POV:

Anthony J. Crowley never wanted to step foot in that building again, but he had no choice. As Adam and Warlock's new legal guardian, he had to live near their school and their friends. Well, perhaps he didn't have to, but the poor things had been through enough sadness lately as far as he was concerned. He wasn't about to make absolutely everything in their lives be different just because they had shit parents and he had to step in. He knew too much change could make things worse.

So, he clenched his jaw and took a deep breath as he pulled into the parking lot of Tadfield Manor Apartments, known by the locals as 'St. Beryl Apartments', even though they haven't been called that in over three decades. Nevertheless, Crowley simply associates with one other thing. Or rather, person: Aziraphale Zachariah Fell. The best and worst thing to come into his life. They were in love, no doubt about it, but a disagreement lead to their downfall as a couple.

Crowley was determined to ignore all those feelings and simply take his things from the car to his new home. Easier said than done, because it didn't take long for Adam and Warlock to drag him and introduce him to the nice man who sometimes tutored them. Frankly, he should've seen that one coming. Aziraphale was very intelligent and he was always in the building because he worked as an online professor for students who could not go to a campus due to disabilities. It took every fiber of his being to not break down or be an ass to his ex boyfriend, especially when the kids clearly loved him. (And he did too, but the break up still hurt, so he didn't want to let his guard down). Something else that was clear was how uncomfortable Crowley felt, because Aziraphale sent the boys to keep carrying his things to the flat while they 'got acquainted'.

Fuckin' hell, boys. Throwing me right under the bus...

"I'll be honest, I never thought I'd see you around here again." Said Aziraphale.

The redheaded man sighed. "Yeah, well, that makes two of us."

"May I ask why you're moving in with Adam and Warlock? They seem very excited about it. I haven't heard anything from Lily lately, though."

Crowley crossed his arms. "Well, she's in rehab and Lucien disappeared again. Warlock called me once they had run out of canned goods." His jaw was clenched, a clear sign that he was angry.

The blond stammered for a moment. "...Why didn't the poor dears come to me for help?" He asked, possibly himself, considering the low tone of voice.

Crowley decided to answer anyway. "They figured Lil would've been back in about three days, like always."

Lily Crowley had always loved to drink, party, and her friends were equally as bad and irresponsible. Once Warlock started being more independent around the age of 10, she would leave him in charge, go hang out with the girls for a bit, then come back to make sure they were still alive. The boys were discouraged from asking the neighbors for help whenever she was gone because she told them that's how they would end up in the system, separated. And their father was never really in the picture, so he wasn't an option. Naturally, the 16 year old grew desperate and called his uncle. When Crowley learned about his sister's horridness, he went to the authorities. A few days later, she was found and taken into custody. Crowley was granted full custody of the boys and he threatened her, saying that the only way she would ever see them again was if she got clean. With that, she agreed to enter rehab. Even though she was a terrible mother, she did love her sons in her own way, and the thought of not being allowed to see them again sobered her up in seconds.