16; Waking Up In Heaven

Context: Alternate version of "Cake, Wine & Letters", where Crowley actually did take his months long nap and awoke to read what Aziraphale had sent his way.

Saw some people on Twitter and Instagram using #WakeUpCrowley because in the GO 30th anniversary video he had set his alarm clock for July. A suggestion of how he wakes up was made in the GO fanfic chat by Mirach and it got my brain working, so here we are!

Word Count: 2,000

_____

Crowley's POV:

July finally arrived, the alarm buzzed off loudly akin to something a pornstar would sit on for pleasure and views. The groggy demon slowly awoke from his slumber. He grumbled and strained, thanking Someone that he had shut the curtains before his nap and the sun wasn't blinding him. The clock on his nightstand read 1 pm. His joints popped as he stretched and he cracked a few bones for good measure. It's only when he pulled himself to edge of the mattress that he noticed a different scent in his flat.

After blinking away the rheum from his eyes, he decided to walk around the place, to find what that smell was. Upon further inspection, he noticed an envelope with his name on it atop his desk. He recognized the handwriting immediately and remembered their conversation before his nap.

Powdered sugar and old books. He really wasn't lying about the cakes.

The demon took a seat in his throne and tore into the envelope. The smell immediately became stronger. Yup, definitely Aziraphale. He let out a sigh, relaxed into his seat and began to read.

Anthony J. Crowley

How are you? I do hope your months-long-slumber has left you feeling rejuvenated. Or, at the very least, not as bored. Lord knows I could never do anything like that, I lack the proper discipline for it. Although, sloth has always been your area of expertise, after all.

Crowley hummed in agreement. That is true. I could easily win a gold medal in laziness if it were an olympic sport. He slouched a bit further into his seat and continued reading.

As I am writing this letter, it is still early May. I am not sure what I will have gotten up to by the time you wake, but I imagine I will be missing you just the same. And that's just it, dear boy, it was a mistake letting you hang up. The reason why I called you in the first place was because I missed you. I should have accepted your offer, instead, I pushed you away again...

Crowley opened his mouth but shut it just as quick, while his mind tried to process what the angel had said. He actually admitted to missing me?

Crowley, I haven't been entirely truthful with you. You don't go too fast for me. I was simply too afraid of what they would do to you if I allowed myself to get closer. Even now, after being free for so many months, I let fear control me when it comes to you. And what makes it worse is, I know how you feel about me, how you've always felt about me...

The demon's fingers tightened around the edges of the paper as his hands shook. You know? You've always known?...

I don't deserve you, I know this. You've been so good to me over the years, so patient. I'll understand if you have grown tired of waiting for me. But know that if you give me the chance, if you still want me in any capacity, I will do better. And I promise I will never deny you again.