Chapter 1 Prologue

Prologue

The rain fell hard against the car windscreen, even with the wipers at full speed it was hard to see, the darkness and the oncoming headlights made it harder also. But he had to get back, time was running short, his mind raced with everything, that had happened that previous week.

He thought back to when he saw it happen, recalling every moment like it was only seconds ago, when he watched in terror.

Ian Fenwick earned his first million, setting up and operating a very successful stockbroker business. He had built up a reputation, and was very well respected in the financial community, he worked long hours, for big rewards, he loved his job, he was married to his wife Sarah, and they lived in the suburbs on the outskirts of London.

He remembered leaving the office, and getting to the elevator, saying goodnight to his assistant. And the moment when the lift doors opened, he stepped inside and selected the ground floor.

He watched as the lift descended, watching the numbers count down. He reached the ground floor, got out the lift and then headed towards a set of stairs to the underground carpark.

Walked over to where he was parked the carpark was dimly lit, he took the key and pressed the unlock button, the sound of the unlocking came from the car and he opened the door, then he heard the gunshot.

Ian hit the floor, and shuffled to hide behind the car, he bravely looked up over the bonnet, there in front of him were two men with guns, who had just killed someone. There was only him and them there alone, he grabbed his mobile phone and called emergency services.

"Emergency, which service please?"

"Police!" Ian whispered.

"What is the nature of the emergency?"

"Someone has been shot the Aldershot building car park, hurry they are still here!"

He crouched back down, it seemed they didn't know he was there. Panicking his mind raced, should he get in the car and speed out of there? But they were too close to the entrance, they had guns. He stayed and waited, hoping and praying, there were no siren sounds, what was taking so long?

An idea came to his head, a picture, he needed to get a picture of them, what if they ran and the police could not find them.

He took out his phone and switched the camera on, trying to keep his breath under control he raised the camera above the bonnet of the car, he could see them he zoomed in to get a clearer shot, then went to press the button to take a shot, and there was a loud click of the snap, and the phone began to ring, it was Sarah his wife. He quickly silence the call and put his phone back.

"Someone's there!" Shouted one of the men.

The sound of footsteps could be heard running towards where Ian sat. There was no time to think, he had to move, he got up and started to run, being in his early forties, he was fit for his age and looked after his body well. He looked back as the men saw him and increased their speed.

"Grab him, grab him now!"

Ian increased his pace, his heart felt like it was about to burst through his chest, he ran up to the next floor of the carpark and hid behind a pillar. Trying to control his breathing he heard the men not far behind him. Ian needed a minute to compose himself, he had to think what to do, there was no one else around. He mustered the energy and began to run again.

"There he is. STOP NOW." One of the men shouted.

Ian didn't stop he continue to run, then he heard police sirens approaching the carpark.