CHAPTER 09

"I think I'm going to choose this one," Sakura said, grabbing one of the smaller, but more finely decorated, scrolls from the shelf. The label marked them as scorpions.

"A decent enough choice," Ibiki nodded, "do you have an interest in poisons and venoms? I can always ask Anko to teach you more if it's something that you think you'd be able to use."

Sakura thinks for a moment before nodding, "I think that'd be nice, but I'll need to kick up my training to be able to outspeed Gaara's sand barrier."

Ibiki nods in return, and grabbed the scroll from his young students hand, "we need to do the paperwork, sadly, before we can take this."

______________

"So I just write my name in blood?" Sakura asked, looking down at the scroll.

"I've heard all of them are different, but it looks to me like that's what the previous owners of the contract have done," Ibiki nods, examining the scroll as well. They were sat outdoors, in Sakura's usual training ground in case of some sort of mishap.

Sakura pulled a kunai from her holster and bloodied a finger, dragging it across the scroll until she spelt her name.

"Is that okay?" Sakura said, "I don't feel any different."

"You don't usually," Ibiki shrugged, "the only way to really know is to use the Justu at this point."

Sakura sighed but nods along, wiping her hands on her pants as she stood up.

Moving slowly from one hand seal to another, she placed her still bloodied hand to the ground. An array of complex symbols displays briefly before a puff of smoke that once dissipated reveals...

A tiny scorpion, barely the size of a kunai handle sat on the grass, staring up at Sakura.

But it was clearly no normal creature. It's eyes showed intelligence, and it's carapace looked particularly healthy.

"You who has summoned me, Oujimaru, prince of the scorpion tribe!" He speaks in a high-pitched voice, although he clearly took himself more seriously than Sakura was managing. "State your reasoning for signing our long lost contract!"

"Oh Kami," Sakura giggled, crouching down to look at the little guy, "you're so small."

"Are all humans this stupid?" Oujimaru huffed when he heard that, but allowed Sakura to place a finger on his tiny head for petting, even leaning into it, "according to the elders, our first summoner was just as insufferable when it came to the young of our tribe."

"You're just mad you aren't as big as me," Sakura teased, feeling strangely at ease. She assumed it was due to their connection, thanks to the contract.

"That isn't true!" Oujimaru snorted, crawling past another attempt at petting him and onto Sakura's arm, "I am a scorpion who specialises in stealth, I have no need for a larger size."

"But anyway, human!" He said, returning to the topic at hand, "answer me, why have you signed the contract of my tribe?"

Sakura thinks for a moment before she answers, "I want to get stronger, and I figured you would be the best summon animal partner for me."

"And why is that?" Oujimaru questioned, "why do you believe the scorpions to be your ticket to greatness."

Sakura frowned then, "I didn't say your tribe alone shall bring me there." She replied, "I want to request your assistance, not use you for my own gain. I am willing to assist you in any matters you'd need my help in, too."

Oujimaru nods his tiny scorpion head at that, "good, then I believe you a worthy summoner." He said, "I shall inform the elders of my decision. Feel free to call on me or my family whenever you require us."