CHAPTER 36

Masato was in hell. He was sure of it. His arm stung from the half healed wound that had stabbed right through it as he poured what little chakra he had left into his teammates.

None of them had woken up, and it has already been a week. Masato's eyelids were heavy as he went from on to the next, keeping them alive.

Hinata was on her last legs, Masato could tell. The blade had missed her heart, but her lungs had filled with fluid quickly, much too fast for Masato to begin healing her in time. He was only keeping her alive out of stubbornness.

His stomach was filled with soldier pills, way above the recommended amount for anyone, but Masato didn't care. So long as he had chakra, his teammates would not die.

They were stationed about a hundred meters from where their battle with Hidan had taken place, and Masato had carefully carried each of them one by one underneath the roots of a particularly large tree, covering the opening with a ripped up tent and slapping a camouflage seal over it.

His mind wandered frequently, the lack of sleep getting to him as he forced chakra through his coils just to keep him awake.

It was hell, his body was heavy, his mind filled with fog and his chakra coils burning with the excess afforded by the pills. To top it off he was forced to watch as his teammates slowly died, not having enough chakra even with the pills to save them all.

He knew he would have to choose. He could save most of them, if he gave up healing Hinata, but he couldn't bring himself to do it. Her situation was hopeless, but he refused to let that affect him.

Even if she managed to get to Konoha, she would likely die within a few hours.

Masato knew that, knew he was being selfish and letting his teammates die because he wasn't strong enough to make a sacrifice.

But no matter what arguments the small, rational part of his brain made, the pale boy refused.

He soothed his mind with the knowledge that his taichou would make the same decision. She wouldn't leave a member of their team, their family, behind to save the rest.

She'd sooner sacrifice herself than have them in danger, nevermind dead.

Masato knew what he had to do, but he knew it wasn't something he wanted to.

A few hours later, the choice was made for him.

______________

Hinata was tired, when she woke up. Her eyes felt heavy and couldn't open, but she felt safe. She could hear the familiar footsteps of Masato, and smell the faint scent of her teammates throughout wherever she was.

"Ma.. sato," she croaked out, her voice hoarse as she heard the footsteps cease. A moment later she heard a crunch, as if Masato had bent down onto fallen leaves to be closer.

"Hinata!" Masato said, tears in his eyes as his hands went green, checking over the Hyuga. He hadn't expected her to wake up at all, let alone before anyone else.

"I'm dying, aren't I?" The girl coughed, sending a pain soaring through her chest.

Masato didn't respond with words, instead he slipped his hand into hers, squeezing slightly.

"I see," Hinata gave a small, hoarse sigh. "Is he dead?"

Masato paused, before he spoke up again.