CHAPTER 16

Sakura had sat nervously, watching as Yugao, the same woman who helped her learn to style her hair appropriately what seemed like so long ago, glared at Shino. She'd done the same to her right before and nodded in satisfaction. She had a feeling she'd find Shino...

"Lacking," Yugao said simply, "your chakra coils are developed well for someone of your age and clan, but your body is not suited to handling a sword as it is now."

Shino didn't speak, but nodded, "I was hoping to receive guidance in learning another weapon," he explained, "something useable as short range, without requiring I focus too heavily on my physical conditioning."

Yugao thought for a moment, but eventually came to a decision, "a weapon may not be your best option in that case." Yugao stated, "you should focus on short range Ninjutsu, if you're adamant about not focusing on your physical conditioning."

Shino frowned slightly at that and shook his head, "my clans insects feed off of our chakra," he explained, "using standard Ninjutsu, whilst entirely possible, is not an effective use of our chakra."

Yugao sighed at that, but decided to help anyway, "then I guess we can get you started on the basics of swordsmanship, I can't teach anything else, but I'll warn you that my style requires dexterity above all else. If you aren't willing to put in the work to train your body as much as learn the movements, then you won't get far."

Shino thought for a moment before nodding. He realised abruptly soon after that his clan had always focused on their insects, that an Aburame training their body above the bare minimum felt absurd.

He steeled himself for a chat with his father's that night.

______________

"I'm home," Shino spoke calmly as he walked inside, a small frown on his face.

"I'm in the kitchen," his father, Aburame Shibi, replied. His voice was deep but smooth, and it often made the skin of those not well acquainted with him crawl.

Walking into the kitchen, Shino found his father sat at the counter, reading some sort of scroll. He didn't question its contents, though, and instead sat beside Shibi.

"I wanted to talk to you about something," Shino said simply, and Shibi placed the scroll down in response, giving his son his full attention.

"What is it?" He asked, his tone slightly worried, although a non-Aburame would have trouble telling.

"I want to move our training sessions to another day," he said simply, "I have begun to train more with my new team leader. We recently got a new instructor, and she wants to work with us on the same day I usually spend with you."

"I don't see that being a problem," Shibi nodded minutely, "what is it this instructor is teaching you?"

Shino took a breath at that. He was nervous to tell his father his plans, but he decided it had to be done.

"I'm going to focus more on my physical training," he explained, "she's teaching us Kenjutsu."

Shibi paused then, watching Shino carefully. "That's an unusual path for an Aburame to take." He said simply.

Shino did not deny it, nodding his head, "yes, but I believe it for the best. My Taijutsu is lacking and my allies are a finite resource. I need to learn to defend myself without them."

Shibi sighed at that, "I did not mean to offend you, son," he said simply, "you make decisions for yourself, based on what you feel is missing in your skillset."

Shino smiled slightly at that, "but if it is your lack of close ranged options you find troubling, and running out of allies hosted within your body you worry after, we will start you on a new technique during our training sessions, which will be moved to the weekend."