CHAPTER 18

Sakura watched carefully as the genin she sent for arrived. The boys of her team had went out to locate the two extra genin they would be borrowing for the mission whilst Nanako had remained by her side.

The first to arrive was Inuzuka Kiba. His face seemed furious, and the ninken by his side's matched. He was a strong fighter in close quarters combat and the best tracker of their generation alongside his allies on Team Eight. Masato had collected him from the Inuzuka compound.

The next to arrive was Hyuga Hinata. Also a force to be reckoned within the realm of Taijutsu, but also an asset thanks to her Byakugan eyes. Tracking Sasuke was their mission objective, and as such all of the former Team Eight would be an asset. Shino had collected her.

She chose Hinata over Neji for a simple reason. She had experience working with both Kiba and Shino, and according to Shino's observations she had became much stronger than when Sakura had watched her fight her older cousin.

Sakura had briefly thought to contact Yamanaka Ino, too, for her clan's jutsu to be applied as an interrogation tactic against any enemies they may capture, as well as her recent study of medical Ninjutsu, but decided against it in the end. According to Shikamaru, she still held the Uchiha in high regard, and Sakura had a feeling she would hesitate to kill him if needed.

She also wished she could bring Shikamaru himself, but the Hokage was clear on who she was allowed to recruit, available Genin only.

She didn't recruit Choji or any of the team containing Lee, Neji and Tenten due to not wanting to slow their team down as they pursued. She also had little interaction with them outside of the chunin exams.

Sakura wasn't disappointed though. The team they had assembled was a skilled one, filled with some of the best trackers and combatants Sakura knew.

In fact, only her and Nanako were lacking in tracking talent, and they were probably the heaviest hitters of the squad.

"I hope you're all ready for this mission," Sakura spoke seriously, pleasantly surprised when neither Kiba or Hinata seemed shocked at the change between her academy self and the one before them.

But, she supposed it made sense. They still saw Shino as often as their schedules allowed. He would have spoke about her, she assumed.

"It's not going to be an easy one." She went on, glancing at each member of her enlarged group. "We are being sent to hunt one of our own, someone we at one point or another have thought of as our comrade."

"Alongside that, he is accompanied by an unknown group of four others," Sakura watched as all of her team stood strong. Hinata had surprised her most, standing completely at attention without her usual insecure slouch. "For all we know, these four others could be Jonin. Prepare for the worst. If you don't think you can handle it, I won't hold it against you."

Sakura gave a small smile when nobody showed a sign of backing out. With a clap of her hands and a nod, she watched as the team approached her, getting into formation.

Hinata and Kiba would be at the front, being their main trackers, with Nanako and Sakura taking either side behind them. Shino and Masato would take the rear, wary of any incoming threats from behind.

Once in formation they formed a sort of hexagonal shape, if looked at from above.

______________

Sakura cursed as the rain began to fall. Kiba was holding up, but the downpour would wash away scent quickly, as well as the footprints inevitably left behind during a quick getaway. Shino's bugs could not move quite as efficiently in the rain, also.