CHAPTER 19

Shino scowled, his left arm bursting into pain.

Jirobo had punched forward blindly with his remaining arm, missing wildly and splintering a nearby tree into a thousand pieces. Many of which flew into Shino's arm. It was useable, but it hurt like hell.

Dodging was becoming less and less of a viable option for the Aburame as his opponent raged. No matter what Jirobo hit, Shino was caught in the aftermath.

Shino's left leg was sending harsh bursts of pain at him after Jirobo's earlier attack against the ground itself made Shino sink into the mud, only escaping thanks to the help of his insects, although with a twisted ankle and a slight limp.

Shino scowled openly as Jirobo moved to attack him again, barely missing and shaking the ground as he bashed his fist against the mud.

Shino was beyond struggling, now. He was helpless, a single thought was running through his mind as he carefully dodged the brunt of his opponents attacks.

The rain had become heavy, leaving his insects even slower than before, and his injuries only got worse as he moved around. He had one choice.

A last ditch effort, a technique he knew he wasn't yet good enough at to use in battle, but he had no other choice. Despite his misgivings, knowing he would surely die if the technique were to fail, he moved.

So, with his mind made up and his eyes hardened, he drew his katana yet again, placing it before him as he focused.

Channeling chakra through his body, he jumped high, higher than naturally possible, and spun his blade in a circular motion. Jirobo would have noted it's similarity to the moon, were he not so transfixed on his anger.

Shino's heart pounded as he hoped, praying his chakra enhanced movement was fast enough to have the desired effect against the enraged Jirobo. He needed him to confuse his speed, attack either too early or too late.

"Hazy Moon Night," Shino muttered the name of the technique Yugao had taught him, falling to the ground and charging forwards.

It was almost too fast, as Jirobo smashed his balled fist into the ground right before him, but Shino jumped again, landing on top of Jirobo's own back and stabbing down hard.

A sickening crunch and squelch sounded out, the sword passing through organs and bone as Shino panted. Blood poured from his own arm, filled with splintered pieces of wood, as well as Jirobo's own shoulder.

When Shino pulled his katana from the man's back, he didn't begin to celebrate. He watched carefully as Jirobo twitched for a moment before he fell to the ground. His skin slowly reverting to its usual colour and his hair shortening to it's natural length.

______________

Masato groaned as another arrow lodged itself into his body, this time in his shoulder. Kidomaru was grinning maliciously from afar.

"You put up a decent fight," Kidomaru, his skin covered in swirling black patterns called from afar with a smirk, "but you won't survive to speak of it."

Masato grit his teeth as he pulled the arrow from his shoulder, thankful it didn't pierce all the way through.

"We'll see about that," Masato growled as he stood straight.

In reality, Masato knew this fight was not likely one he could win. In fact, it was one he was near certain he would lose.

But he knew for one thing that he had to keep going, to buy time for his team, and ensure the success of the mission.

He had to make sure that Uchiha Sasuke was killed, no matter the cost. Missing nin deserved nothing more. The pain he'd caused his taichou in the past ringing through his mind as he fought to continue on.