CHAPTER 30

"Riku-sama will mainly be remaining within the palace grounds for the duration of his stay, due to the recent attempt on his life," Ginmaru explain to the group the day after they arrived. "He has made the request that only two of you at a time guard him, if that is acceptable?"

"So long as we remain within the palace grounds, I see no issue," Sakura nods. The Kusa nin guarding the place were powerful, according to Hinata, Masato and Shino, around Jonin level supposedly. Sakura was relieved to hear as such, since if Kakuzu came after them afterwards she doubted Team Three alone could handle him. Hell, they only managed to defeat Hidan because the man underestimated them for their entire fight before being caught by surprise.

"Good, then I'll escort whoever wishes to guard him first to his quarters now. I will also remain nearby for his protection," Ginmaru nods as Sakura steps forwards. "Hinata, Shino or Masato should come with me, having a chakra sensor on guard at all times is crucial."

A moment passes before Masato takes a step forward and follows behind Ginmaru. Sakura briefly turns around and makes eye contact with her teammates.

"Remember, Grass country are only tentative allies, do not reveal anything more than is necessary," Sakura warns, and the four genin being left behind nod.

______________

Guarding a Daimyo is relatively boring, Sakura finds out quite quickly. His day revolves almost entirely around meeting with important officials and members of Grass' Daimyo's family.

It was after a chat with one of the Grass Daimyo's daughters that a knock came on the door. Opening it, a job reserved for bodyguards in case of attack, Sakura found one of Riku's servants.

"A message has arrived from Konoha," the man declares, and Sakura nods and takes the scroll. It is addressed specifically to her.

"It is for me, Riku-sama," Sakura informs the man, "If possible, could I take my leave, and have one of my team members take my place?"

The Daimyo agrees easily enough, and the servant is sent off to retrieve Nanako. A moment later the kunoichi arrives and Sakura leaves with a nod of greeting and a wave of the scroll.

______________

Sakura read the scroll twice, eyes wide and mind racing as she did. She couldn't believe what it was.

She had expected to get this message near the end of their mission, if at all. Definitely not a month and a bit after having left Konoha.

But there it was, a scroll of promotion. Not just noting her own, but also that of each of her teammates, not one of them left behind.

It seems Riku's message to the Hokage had arrived, as well as Sakura's own and that of Shikaku's secret reporter. Sakura suspected it was Ginmaru, tasked with reporting their progress by Riku as his best warrior. She imagined the man had reported the names of their opponents after being told by Team Three and sent a report off to Konoha alongside Riku's message.

Sakura wasn't about to complain, aged thirteen and already a Jonin, but she definitely didn't feel ready.

She remembered back to her first lunch, more dinner than lunch though it was, with Shikamaru. About their shared feelings of inadequacy over their promotion, and how they helped one another through it.