CHAPTER 37

"Six," Masato droned out a second later, his eyes wide but Byakugan inactive.

"Asking or answering that question alone is akin to treason," Shikaku narrowed his eyes dangerously at the pink haired girl, then to the tightly gripped Masato.

"Masato made it clear he would not return the Byakugan," Sakura replied, her eyes carefully watching Shikaku's own.

"And his refusal is worth this?" Shikaku asked, leaning forward and prepared to counter any sudden movements.

"The refusal of my teammate to spit on Hinata's final request is worth anything," Sakura replied. "My life, the lives of these ANBU. The life of the Hokage, even."

"You're on thin ice, Sakura," Shikaku warned them, hoping beyond hope that what he was hearing wasn't true. That she'd just let them go through the process, Masato would be given a slap on the wrist, a new set of eyes transplanted into his head and be allowed to continue his service.

Instead... "You're on thin ice, Shikaku." Sakura echoed the Hokage's words, dropping all honorifics or respect.

"A Shinobi who abandons their mission is scum," she smirked a little through grit teeth, her eyes scanning the room. "But a shinobi who abandons their comrades is worse than scum."

"But there's someone even worse, than that," her hands came together. "And that's a superior who abandons their subordinates."

In a matter of a single second, multiple events occured.

First, Sakura's hands began flying through seals.

Second, four other ANBU shot down from positions camouflaged around the room.

Third, Shikaku jumped to his feet, his hands in the seal for the shadow paralysis jutsu.

Fourth, Masato twisted around, a chakra scalpel slicing through the thighs of both ANBU holding him in place, dropping them to the floor.

Five, Sakura's hand seals finish, and the air became concentrated with her chakra.

"Hiding in Mist Technique," she whispered as the air became thick.

It didn't stop Shikaku though, being the sensor he was, and his shadow shot out at the pink haired girl a second later.

But Sakura was prepared, jumping back and placing her hand on the ground. As the shadow reached her, she smirked.

"Earth Style: Metamorphosis," she muttered and watched as the chakra in the shadow crumbled to dirt.

A moment later the four ANBU who remained upright charged through the mist. It was clear they weren't sensors, but their sense of hearing was impressive after years of experience as Shinobi, and they reached Sakura fast.

But not faster than she could draw her blades, her water Chokuto drew water from the mist to lengthen and sharpen itself.

A harsh swing downwards took off an ANBU's arm, whilst a second with her enhanced Earth Chokuto dug deep into another's thigh. A Tanto found itself lodged into her shoulder in response though as she cursed.

Masato surged forth a moment later, engaging in a brief Taijutsu combat with one of two remaining ANBU. The ANBU was superior, but a moment later a myriad of Fuinjutsu tags found themselves placed on various parts of his body.

A single hand seal and the masked man fell, twitching on the ground.

"We need to leave," Sakura growled as the final ANBU charged, getting close as she blocks his blade with hers, leaving a harsh chip in the ANBU's.