five | missions and decisions

Natasha, Clint, and Kate sat in the sleek, modern kitchen of the newly improved Avengers compound, its stainless steel surfaces gleaming under the soft lights. The trio were engrossed in a conversation, strategizing the next steps for the Young Avengers. The aroma of freshly brewed coffee wafted through the air.

In the living room, the rest of the Young Avengers lounged on plush sofas and chairs. The large windows allowed moonlight to cascade in, casting a gentle glow on the young heroes.

Cassie sprawled on one of the couches, flipping through a magazine. Kamala and America engaged in a lively discussion about their recent training session, the laughter from their banter echoing in the spacious room. Eli and Peter were engrossed in a video game, which was displayed on the big flat screen.

Clint raised an eyebrow, his gaze fixed on Kate as he sipped his own coffee. "So, how's work, Kate?"

Kate nonchalantly took a sip of her coffee, "Oh, you know, I stopped showing up about two weeks ago."

Clint chuckled, the corners of his eyes crinkling. Natasha, on the other hand, rolled her eyes with an exasperated sigh. "Seriously Kate?" she muttered, as if this was a regular occurrence.

Kate shot a playful smirk at Natasha. "Hey, I've got more important things to deal with, like saving the world and stuff."

Clint laughed again, clearly accustomed to Kate's unique approach to responsibility. "Well, as long as you're not causing too much trouble."

Kate's playful smirk faded into a furrowed brow. "Yeah, someone decided to auction off our suit at my mom's charity gala."

Clint and Natasha exchanged glances, both surprised and intrigued. Natasha leaned forward, her coffee mug in hand. "Your mom's gala? What happened?"

Kate shrugged, taking on an air of nonchalance. "Oh, you know, just the usual. High society, fancy dresses, and a surprise auction for superhero memorabilia. Classic Tuesday."

Clint's concern deepened. "Wait, who has the Ronin suit now, Kate?"

Kate leaned back, a mischievous grin playing on her lips. "Relax, Clint. I've got it all sorted out. I executed a flawless plan, and now the suit is in safe hands. No need to worry."

Natasha raised an eyebrow. "Flawless plan? Care to elaborate on that?"

Kate continued with a confident smile, "Susan, you know, my trustworthy sister, was my undercover bidder. I made sure everything went smoothly at the gala, and as a bonus, I even managed to give Yelena a bit of distraction."

Kate's confident demeanor faltered for a moment. Yea she definitely messed up by mentioning Yelena. She figured nobody knew about Yelena's mystery mission.

Natasha's expression remained relaxed but there was a flicker of concern in her eyes. She was well aware of Yelena being gone that night, but she didn't know why. Then suddenly Kate's mention of distracting Yelena made her internally cringe.

Before Natasha could respond, Clint, always eager for information, asked, "Why was Yelena there in the first place?"

Natasha sighed quietly, shooting a glance at Kate. "Want to tell him?" She asks Kate.

Kate stayed quiet, trying to comprehend what was going on. Kate hesitated, realizing that Natasha might be under a certain impression. Natasha thinks Yelena and her are hooking up. She wasn't totally wrong, but she then realized it was a great lie to use. A sly smile crossed her face as she decided to play along.

Clint raised an eyebrow, "What's going on?"

"I invited Yelena, no big deal." Kate replied, playing along.