seven | unexpected events

The Barton house in Iowa was filled with warmth and joy as snow gently fell outside. The family gathered in the cozy living room, surrounded by the glow of festive lights and the crackling warmth of a fireplace.

Clint, Laura, and Natasha sat together, sipping on hot cocoa, their eyes filled with contentment as they watched the children eagerly tear open their presents. Laughter echoed through the room, blending with the cheerful holiday tunes playing softly in the background.

Laura turned to Natasha with a curious expression. "Nat, where's Yelena again?"

Natasha took a sip of her hot cocoa, "She mentioned having some business to take care of."

Clint couldn't help but interject with a scoff. "Business, huh?"

Laura shot him a puzzled look. Natasha, however, added a subtle smirk to her response. "Yelena and Kate are friends," she stated with a knowing look.

Laura caught Natasha's subtle implication and let out a light laugh. "Oh, I see. Friends, huh?" she said with a knowing grin. "So, Yelena's spending Christmas with Kate?'

Natasha nodded, confirming Laura's suspicion. "Seems like it."

Laura, looking over at Clint, asked, "Why didn't you invite Kate? You two always spend the holidays together."

Clint sighed, "I did, but she's making an effort with her mom and sister this year. Family stuff."

Laura nodded understandingly, recognizing the importance of family, especially after the challenging times they faced during the blip.

Suddenly both Natasha and Clint received alerts on their phones simultaneously. Clint glanced at Natasha, who rolled her eyes before checking her own device. Natasha's expression shifted to mild annoyance as she observed that two individuals were currently at the Avengers Compound. As Natasha continued to examine the security feed, she identified the unexpected visitors at the Avengers Compound as Peter and America.

Clint noticed Natasha's concern, "What's wrong Nat?"

Natasha paused, realizing that Peter and America might be spending Christmas alone, lacking close family to celebrate with. Just as she was about to share her observation with Clint, another person appeared on the screen, May Parker. And the woman was holding groceries, getting everything situated in the kitchen.

Natasha turned to Clint and said, "It's America, Peter, and Peter's aunt May. They're in the compound."

Clint raised an eyebrow, "What are they doing here?"

Natasha sighed, "I forgot, America doesn't really have a family to celebrate with, and I guess Peter and May don't either."

Clint nodded, understanding the situation. "Well, then we should invite them over. No one should be alone on Christmas."

Laura responded, "But how are they going to get here? Didn't you and Nat use the quinjet?"

Clint thinks for a moment. "Kids, how do you feel about going to New York?" He asks.

"Right now?" Lila asks. Clint nods. The boys nod in agreement, Nate was jumping up and down, making everyone chuckle.

Clint smiled, reaching for his phone. "Alright let me call Kate and tell her we're heading over there."

Laura nodded, understanding the plan. "Sounds good."

Kate slept soundly in her room, sharing the warmth of the sheets with Yelena. The gentle hum of the city outside served as comfort for Kate, making it easier for her to sleep.

However her slumber was erupted by the intrusive ring of a phone, jolting Kate from her slumber. She groaned in annoyance, her hand fumbling to find her phone. Finally, locating the phone on the bedside table, she answered it with a grumpy, half asleep voice.