six | a bishop christmas eve

Natasha stood beside Clint near the quinjet, the hum of engines preparing for departure in the background. Yelena was there to say goodbye to her sister on New Year's Eve morning. The air was crisp, after a fresh batch of snow had just fallen.

Natasha turned to Yelena with a questioning look. "You sure you don't want to join us for Christmas at Clint's? It'll be fun."

Yelena shook her head, "No, I have something to take care of. But you enjoy your time. Tell the old man I said hi."

Clint, who was adjusting some gear on the quinjet, chimed in, "I can hear you, you know."

"Shut up Francis!" Natasha hollered back at the man.

Yelena, standing nearby, raised an eyebrow. "Francis? Since when do you call him that?"

Natasha smirked, a playful glint in her eyes. "It's his middle name. Clint Francis Barton. I use it when I want to annoy him."

Yelena nodded, the information lingering in her mind. The pieces started to come together. "Francis Barton... FB." No, he couldn't be the Ronin, Yelena thought.

Natasha turned to Yelena, concern in her eyes. "You okay?"

Yelena, with a thoughtful expression, replied, "Yeah. You two go enjoy your Christmas. I'll see you later."

As Clint and Natasha prepared to depart, Clint turned to Yelena, a serious expression on his face. "Take care of Kate while we're gone, okay? Make sure she doesn't get into too much trouble."

Yelena's annoyance was evident as she rolled her eyes. "I'm not her babysitter, Clint."

He chuckled, "Just looking out for her. You two behave."

Natasha chuckled, giving Yelena a side hug. "Take care of yourself. And if you change your mind, you know where to find us."

Yelena managed a small smile. "I will. Have a good Christmas, Nat."

She didn't bother to look at Barton. As the quinjet took off, Yelena's mind raced with thoughts. Could the Ronin have been under her nose the entire time?

Meanwhile, Kate stood outside her mother's penthouse, her hand hesitating over the doorbell. The weight of missed calls and unanswered messages hung in the air, fueling her nerves. She took a deep breath, exhaling slowly to compose herself before finally pressing the button.

As the door opened, Kate's anxiety heightened. Eleanor, her mother, stormed into the foyer with a mix of concern and frustration on her face.

"Where have you been, Kate?" Eleanor's voice cut through the tension. "I've been trying to reach you for days. Do you have any idea how worried I've been?"

Kate winced, feeling the weight of her mother's worry. Before she could respond, Eleanor's concern turned into anger.

"And what's this I hear about you joining the Avengers?" Eleanor's tone grew sharp. "You're being reckless, Katherine. You can't just throw yourself into these dangerous situations."

As Eleanor continued her scolding, Kate's eyes darted around the room, only to spot her sister, Susan, sitting quietly in the living room. Susan's gaze met Kate's, an unspoken understanding passing between them.

As Eleanor's rant continued, she noticed Kate's distant expression. "Are you even listening, Kate?"

Kate tried to interject, to explain her side of the story, but Eleanor's frustration seemed unrelenting. The words formed in Kate's mind, waiting for the right moment to break free. Finally, as Eleanor took a breath, Kate took the opportunity.