fourteen | change of plans

The next morning, Kate woke up on Natasha and Yelena's couch to something licking her face. Groggily opening her eyes, she was greeted by the sight of a large Akita. "What the—" she mumbled, looking at the dog. The Akita's tail wagged enthusiastically, continuing to lick Kate's face.

"Fanny, вниз!" Yelena called from the kitchen. The Akita obediently followed her command and trotted after the blonde into the kitchen, leaving Kate on the couch. Yelena didn't even look at Kate's direction.

As Kate peered over the back of the couch, she saw Natasha coming down the hallway. Natasha gave her a concerned look and asked, "Sleep alright?"

Kate replied sarcastically, still feeling the stiffness in her body, "Oh, like a baby, if the baby was also beat up by bad guys" She grimaced slightly, holding her side as she attempted to sit up, the motion reminding her of the lingering soreness from her injuries.

As Kate managed to pull herself up, she reached for her jacket draped over a nearby chair and began heading toward the door. Just as she was about to turn the knob, she paused, turning around to talk to Natasha and Yelena, but before she could speak, Natasha beat her to it.

"Where do you think you're going?" Natasha said, her voice laced with concern. "If you haven't noticed, you are still injured."

Kate stopped in her tracks, her hand still on the door handle. She knew Natasha was right, but the urgency to keep moving, to follow through with her plans. Not to mention she also had to go feed Lucky.

The injured girl paused, a hint of frustration in her voice as she turned to face Natasha, but she tried to sound grateful.  "Look, thank you guys for the help, but I've got to keep moving." She shifted uncomfortably, her pain still evident. With a sigh, she added a softer note, "I also have a dog to go feed." And with that she left the apartment.

After Kate's departure, Natasha lingered in the living room for a moment, her expression filled with concern. Shaking her head slightly, she turned back toward the kitchen. As she  crossed the living room, her eye caught a glint of something unusual resting on the coffee table. Curious, she approached and found a small, intricately folded piece of paper, shaped like an arrow—an unmistakable signature from Kate.

The redhead approached the coffee table and grabbed the arrow shaped paper. She carefully unfolded the paper. Inside, written in a neat, hurried hand, were coordinates. No further explanation, just the numbers.

Natasha's footsteps were quiet as she approached the kitchen, her mind racing with the thought of Kate's message. Yelena was at the stove, focused on flipping pancakes, her back to Natasha. Without turning around, Yelena's voice cut through the silence, "What did that дурак do now?"

Natasha remained silent for a moment, her gaze fixed on the small piece of folded paper in her hand. Finally, sensing the tension, Yelena turned around, her expression shifting from annoyance to concern as she noticed the look on Natasha's face.

Natasha held up the paper with the coordinates, her expression hardening. "You're going to help her?" she asked, her voice carrying a mix of anger and disbelief.

Yelena stood there, spatula in hand, facing Natasha across the kitchen. The tension hung heavily in the air, punctuated only by the crackling of pancakes on the hot stove. Her expression was unreadable as she simply said, "Yes."

Natasha's brows furrowed, frustration clear in her voice. "Why? I thought you hated her," she pressed, her concern for Yelena's well-being driving her emotions. Before Yelena could formulate a response, Natasha continued, her voice rising slightly in urgency, "You're going to get killed. Fisk is no joke. I don't expect Kate to get out of this alive."