thirteen | echoes of the past

Yelena's heart pounded with apprehension as she watched Kate stumble into their apartment, blood pouring out of her side. Despite her raging feelings towards the archer, she couldn't just ignore her after seeing the sight of her injuries.

As Natasha and Yelena rushed to Kate's side, Yelena's emotions churned. Anger simmered beneath her surface. Yet, beneath the anger she continued to tend to the girl's wound. The blonde's hands moved precisely, her touch somewhat careful but still firm.

As she continued, Yelena's mind replayed the events that had led to this moment. Kate's actions still laid fresh in her mind. She couldn't shake the bitterness that lingered, The betrayal was still too deep. Lost in her hazing thoughts, the blonde wasn't aware of her surroundings until Kate's hiss of pain cut through the haze. The sound jolted Yelena back to the present moment, reminding her that the archer was bleeding out on her living room floor.

Natasha's voice snapped Yelena out of her thoughts. "Сестра, твоя рука на ее ране," she said, her voice sounding urgent.

Realizing, the blonde quickly removed her hand from the wound, blood dripping onto the hardwood floor. "Она в порядке," she said, attempting to brush it off. But the redhead knew her sister was racing in thoughts.

Yelena continued to help Natasha and she began to stitch up Kate's wound. "So, how did you manage to get this?" Natasha asked, her tone casual as she tried to distract Kate from the pain.

Kate winced in pain but managed a faint grin. "Just helping a friend," she replied, her voice strained with discomfort. As Natasha continued her work, Kate's breath caught, and she instinctively moved her arm and reached out to grasp the edge of the nearby coffee table. With a tight grip, she applied pressure, hoping to distract herself from the throbbing ache.

Yelena's gaze lingered on Kate, her eyes tracing the tattoos that adorned her arm. There was a flicker of admiration in her expression, but then quickly vanished when she realized she was just checking her out.

Shifting away her thoughts, Yelena asked, "Who did this to you?"

Both Natasha and Kate turned to look at Yelena, surprised by her sudden inquiry. Kate's voice broke the silence as she answered, her tone matter-of-fact despite the pain. "One of Fisk's people," she replied, her words punctuated by a sharp intake of breath as Natasha continued her work.

Natasha sighed with a mixture of relief and concern as she completed wrapping up Kate's wound. "Okay, you're all done," she announced, her voice gentle yet firm. With tons of practice, she finished tending to Kate's injury, ensuring that it was properly wrapped.

Kate sat up slightly, her gaze drifting between Natasha and Yelena. "Thank you," she murmured, her tone sincere. Then, after a moment's hesitation, she added, "I should get going now."

Natasha's response was swift and decisive. "Oh no, you're staying right here," she declared, her tone leaving no room for argument. "Or maybe not on the floor. I'll help you over to the bathroom so you can get cleaned up." With a supportive hand under Kate's arm, Natasha helped her to her feet, mindful of her injuries. Together, they made their way to the bathroom, leaving Yelena to linger in the aftermath of their unexpected reunion.

A few minutes later, Natasha emerged from the bathroom and stood in front of Yelena, her expression serious yet gentle. "Kate's just getting washed up. Can you make sure she's okay? I'm going to clean this up," Natasha said, gesturing towards the blood-stained floor.

Yelena hesitated for a moment, her instinct to refuse warring with Natasha's determined gaze. "I can clean this up," she started to protest, but Natasha interrupted her with a firm shake of her head.